Lacquer topcoat over GF gel stain ???
I have a recurring project where part of it is stained with GF gel coat and part of it is painted with acrylics. The GF directions say to use Arm-R-Seal for a topcoat. The acrylics call for a lacquer type top coat. Can I simplify the topcoat process by using rattle can lacquer over both sections? I don't like the results of using Arm-R-Seal over acrylics. Is the lacquer compatible with the gel coat? Or will I have problems?

You can always do a simple test, but I don't think you'll have any problems. I've used lacquer over other gel stains, and it worked just fine. The stain does need to be somewhat cured, maybe 48 hours or so.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks. I already did a sample after the stain had dried maybe 5 or 6 hours. But I had no clue as to long term effects. These are for presents that I have to get in the mail in the next 10 days, so I wanted to hurry the completion as soon as I could. I should be in good shape then.

The directions from General Finishes obviously only touts using their own gel coat and Arm-R-Seal. I did have trouble with lacquer softening another finish on a Christmas project several years ago and did not want to revisit the frustrations.

I recently tried Waterlox over GF gel stain and did not have the best results.  Seemed to want to lift the gel stain off the piece in certain areas.  Now I will say I only let the gel stain cure for about a day and a half so probably not long enough.  

But holy cow, the odor from Waterlox can be overwhelming
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
After a good gel coat cure, I don't see a problem with the lacquer top coat.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020