This lady needs a refresher on tablesaw safety
https://youtu.be/LiGT9uJpELY?t=94

1:37ish - stock not pushed tight against fence
1:40 ish - stock not fed flat down on the table
5:35ish - removing off-cut while the blade coasting down
10:57ish - ditto

She really needs a SawStop if she plans to do woodworking and videotaping at the same time!

Simon
Eh, I've seen things much worse. I think she was doing pretty well.
(12-12-2018, 02:02 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: 1:37ish - stock not pushed tight against fence
1:40 ish - stock not fed flat down on the table

Apparently, you've ripped long-ish stock on a little Dewalt saw.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(12-12-2018, 02:10 PM)FS7 Wrote: Eh, I've seen things much worse. I think she was doing pretty well.

Pretty well for now, yes. It is a matter of time injuries happen when people harbor unsafe shop habits like those. People who do worse than this lady simply have a higher chance of getting hurt.

Like it or not, USCPSC reported 1 tablesaw injury every 9 minutes or so.

Simon
(12-12-2018, 02:11 PM)CLETUS Wrote: Apparently, you've ripped long-ish stock on a little Dewalt saw.

Looks like so, and she is taking chances with kickbacks, unknowingly I must say.

Simon
(12-12-2018, 02:16 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Looks like so, and she is taking chances with kickbacks, unknowingly I must say.

Simon

Well, without measuring, I'll say there is about 8" of fence before the blade. It doesn't take much movement at the back of a board to move off the fence or above the table.

You'd probably have a heart attack watching me rip a 4'x8' sheet on my contractors saw. I've never had an issue.
Mark

(12-12-2018, 02:31 PM)CLETUS Wrote: Well, without measuring, I'll say there is about 8" of fence before the blade. It doesn't take much movement at the back of a board to move off the fence or above the table.

You'd probably have a heart attack watching me rip a 4'x8' sheet on my contractors saw. I've never had an issue.

Not my fingers...phew!
Laugh 

For 4x8 sheets, I go with the Festool track saw, giving me results as accurate as cutting them on my cabinet saw.

Simon
(12-12-2018, 02:31 PM)CLETUS Wrote: I've never had an issue.

"However, all methods shown are performed by trained professionals. Do not try this at home."

I also believe PVC air lines are perfectly safe, dust collectors do not need to be grounded and wood movement is blown out of proportion.

However, you should always paint behind the toilet.
Mark

I'm so thankful I can watch a video where someone has a technique that I don't agree with, and I can just let it go and not stress out over it.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
Safety is important. This I understand. I think it's important to understand the actual risks involved with the tools we use and not overstate the risks or dramatize the situation.

Table saw injuries do occur. But with proper technique and equipment - riving knives, splitters, blade guards, push sticks, and so on - they are substantially reduced. This woman was using push sticks and a splitter, though not a blade guard that I saw (even on the through cuts where she could have).

I enjoy guns and shooting, but I recognize when a disassembled gun is not a gun. I have seen people treat bolt action guns without a bolt as live weapons. I have seen people treat automatic pistols with the slide removed as live weapons. At that point, they are nothing more than wood, polymer, and metal. They are not guns, and I think it does a disservice to the shooting community to overemphasize things like that. Logic should play a part in the same way that we teach our kids to react differently to cars when they are not running in a parking lot as opposed to when they are being driven on a road.

In this case (or any case, really), we cannot expect wood to remain 100% against the fence at all times or 100% in contact with the table at all times.