This lady needs a refresher on tablesaw safety
(12-14-2018, 05:32 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: pickypickypicky 
Winkgrin

My dictionary equates "picky" to "demanding"...which is pretty true when it comes to observing shop safety!
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin 

Simon
(12-14-2018, 05:06 PM)Steve in Nova Scotia Wrote: I think she's doing fine, I'm pretty sure nobody here can claim to have NEVER let a workpiece inadvertently drift a bit from the fence, or have the edge of a large piece of sheet stock lift a bit off the table, I know I can't. The worst was reaching over the spinning blade as some mentioned, but I saw nothing particularly shocking. I expect I'll receive a public intervention for my blasphemous opinion by the safety police, but whatever...I'm not pretending to be perfect here.

You are missing the point. It is not about perfection, not even close.

In 15 minutes or so of the video, she had already made many safety-related errors, and, worse, she might not even be aware that she had made those mistakes. Repetition of those mistakes and habits, such as feeding a small piece next time off the table lightly, will increase her chances of getting injured. If the accidental lifting seen in the video was due to the small tablesaw, as one poster suggested here, then the lifting would continue to happen as long as she does not realize the risk (and do something to avoid it), and continues to cut her stock in that manner. A kickback sooner or later is going to surprise her with violence and with unpredictable outcome to her or to someone who happens to be in the line of fire.

Like it or not, as we discuss whether it is about perfection or about safety, another kickback and/or saw injury has just happened. To the "unlucky" one, that is. There are all kinds of mistakes we woodworkers can make and do make, preventing and avoiding the safety kind is on the top of my list at all times. My eyes, my fingers, my lungs, etc. are not negotiable as a price to pay for my hobby.

By the way, each of you with years and years of woodworking experience who feel differently and give your comments here is doing a good thing, because many tablesaw accidents recorded in the SawStop database over the past decade were reported by seasoned woodworkers. By discussing (whether in agreement or not), we are bringing awareness to a topic that is as important as any other woodworking subjects. 

Simon
Okay Simon, I get that...but, if you are concerned for her safety, she has a Youtube channel, where anyone can leave a comment...have you posted a comment or sent a message to try and enlighten her? Would that not be better than bringing the issue to light on a woodworking forum where she may never see it? If you are concerned, as you say, then maybe that is the best option, you get to pass on your message to her with your concerns. Best case scenario she takes your constructive criticism, and moves forward with more focus on safety, but if not, at least you passed on your concerns and done your due dilligence.  FYI she does monitor her account, because 5 minutes after I left a comment to give her a thumbs up on the sled, she responded back to me with a thank you.
(12-14-2018, 06:33 PM)Steve in Nova Scotia Wrote: Okay Simon, I get that...but, if you are concerned for her safety, she has a Youtube channel, where anyone can leave a comment...have you posted a comment or sent a message to try and enlighten her? Would that not be better than bringing the issue to light on a woodworking forum where she may never see it?

I contribute to this forum for the benefit of those who visit this forum and who check out what I post, not those who do not come this forum.

If she monitors her account, then she would have seen similar safety comments made to her video in the Comments section. Did she respond to any or all of them? More power to her if or when she did.

Simon
(12-14-2018, 06:39 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: I contribute to this forum for the benefit of those who visit this forum and who check out what I post, not those who do not come this forum.

If she monitors her account, then she would have seen similar safety comments made to her video in the Comments section. Did she respond to any or all of them? More power to her if or when she did.

Simon

To each his own...
(12-14-2018, 06:07 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote:  SawStop database

Simon

Do you own a sawstop?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-14-2018, 06:54 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Do you own a sawstop?

Yep. I have used all three models of it, except the Jobsite. Bosch Reaxx had been once a jobsite alternative before its import was banned.

Simon
Are you pitching for SawStop?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-14-2018, 07:01 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Are you pitching for SawStop?

I was going to ask the same 
Rolleyes
(12-14-2018, 07:01 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Are you pitching for SawStop?

Ha. Somehow my spider sense told me this would be your next question!
Wink 

YES, I am pitching for SS as in Shop Safety. You see, all the safety issues that that lady was in trouble with can be resolved by paying attention to making cuts, changing her habit of removing off-cuts (impatiently), etc. None that would require the SawStop or Reaxx technology; zero extra money to be spent.

Is SS -- SawStop in this case -- good for her and other woodworkers (including those videographers)? Of course. It is an added layer of protection. There is another thread going on about SawStop. Ask people there who are owners if you want more or their opinions about SS.

Am I related to the SawStop business or its parent company (which also owns Festool) in anyway (if that's your follow-up question)? None whatsoever, other than being one of its happy customers.

Again, all in sincerity, thanks for keeping this talk about table saw safety. I am sure some of the forum visitors (who may be the silent majority) reading this thread may think more about their own safety when they fire up their tablesaws....

Simon