80 tooth or 96 tooth for new miter saw?
I have a DeWalt DW706. I have used a Freud Ultra Fine Finish blade on that saw(stock other than the blade) for many years for trim work, both painted and stained. Even used it on plastic crown molding.

The problem I had was learning to use the saw without stepped cuts(which happen a lot on angled cuts when the force of the blade pushes the stock).

Never had an issue with splits using the stock throat plate. I also used that saw for building decks and fencing with a couple other blades, so it got heavy use. And still made spot on miters.

Oh, the biggest problem----? Finding the tiny piece cut to make a return on a piece of trim.
Yes

I did run the bearings out of the motor shaft while building a deck. Had DeWalt rebuild the motor(10 years ago) and it is fine to this day.
(12-14-2018, 09:01 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: I have used a Freud Ultra Fine Finish blade...

That name seems to be associated with both 80 and 100 tooth blades in the 12" size.  Which do you mean?
I think it is a 96 tooth model---it is over 15 years old. but, I have three, two 10" and one 12". The 12" may have more teeth.
Seems like many on here were recommending a 60 or 80 tooth...I tried out the blade that came with my saw (a 32 tooth) and it already makes an okay cut, so I'm guessing a 60 or an 80 would do more than smooth enough for me. I'm waiting until at least tomorrow, though to make a final decision on the blade, since I need to get the fence on the saw exchanged as it's out of flat.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Ultimate-Cu...H49ZS?th=1

is what Wood magazine recommends for a 10" miter saw. Some other magazines may have a different take, though.

Simon
I've used a Freud 96 or 100 on my 12" Milwaukee for a while now. I have never had a blade sharpened, but I do occasionally soak them in the purple Simple Green to loosen the pitch and gunk. One of those plastic bristle brushes found in the tile section will take all of it easily after that. Hard woods are not a problem. Go slow if you have any concerns, as burning only seems to happen when it's really pushed in (or there are some stresses in the wood).

A sharp blade will give you the most accurate cuts (less deflection) and a higher tooth count will give you the least tearout. 

I have only ever swapped the blade for the stock blade (24T or whatever it was) to do deck work. If I'm cutting a few boards of construction lumber, I'll just leave the good blade on.
(12-14-2018, 05:49 PM)jteneyck Wrote: The 60 tooth blade that came on my Bosch 12" miter saw cut great, very smoothly on dense hardwoods, until I did something stupid and killed it.  I put a 96 tooth Freud blade on it thinking it would cut much better.  Wrong.  It burned like crazy on dense hardwoods and was slow cutting most anything.  I bought a 60 tooth Freud blade and have been happy ever since.  My vote is try what comes on the saw first, and don't go over 80 teeth if you are unhappy with the stock blade unless you only cut really thin stuff.  

John

Had similar experience with my Bosch 12" glider.  Replaced the 60 tooth blade with 96 tooth, it burned! Removed 96 tooth and put the 60 tooth back on.
(12-22-2018, 08:12 PM)Woodamaker Wrote: Had similar experience with my Bosch 12" glider.  Replaced the 60 tooth blade with 96 tooth, it burned! Removed 96 tooth and put the 60 tooth back on.

It isn't just the tooth count.  Some blades are ground with more relief than others so they are less likely to burn.  The lower relief blade will cut smoother, but be more prone to burn.  It is a subtle thing, but in some situations it makes a noticeable difference.  Unfortunately that isn't something that any manufacturer will disclose because it is considered a proprietary specification.   Just know that a 96 tooth blade from brand A may not be the same as a 96 tooth from brand B.
Sawdust, sawdust everywhere and amungst it somewhere is my pencil...
I checked reviews between the 60 and 80 tooth DeWalt precision trim blades, and the 80 seemed to have better reviews. Plus, the price went down, and since the recommendations on here were kinda split up evenly between 60, 80, and 96, I thought 80 would be a good medium anyway, so I asked for that one for Christmas. Pics below. I took it out of the package (VERY easy to open compared to most other plastic packaging) for photo purposes so you could see the tooth angle clearly, but I put it back in the package until I need to make finish cuts (don't want any of the teeth getting chipped by accident). Looks more like a positive than a negative angle, but I could be wrong.

Attached Files Image(s)

Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser