Stretching my minimal finishing experience
Thumbs Up 
Started out finishing with oil based poly when I began making pieces worth finishing(in the late 80's).

Had an outside unheated shop until I moved here(basement shop) in 2008.  So most of my finishing was inside and problematic, since the kitchen table is not a very good place for cabinet sized pieces. And, oil based poly STINKS!!!!

I am a fairly good painter(interior/exterior)---good enough people have paid me and were pleased. But clear finishes were daunting. Got Flexnor's book and learned a bit. Started buying shellac flakes and mixing my own 1 and 3 pound cuts. Stumbled through learning how to apply it. Can rattle can lacquer fairly well.

Got pretty good at non poly varnish(used in a lot in my remodeling trim repair area). It is still my go to finish. Have used water based poly with success. Prefer the finished look of the varnish over the poly.

Decided to try two new ones. Brushing lacquer and clear epoxy bar type coating.

Am making 16 serving trays for Christmas gifts. Three will have the epoxy coating, the rest lacquer---if I can apply it to my satisfaction.

Have already learned self leveling epoxy seems thicker than it actually is. The trays have a frame. The tray is fitted into a rabbited frame. I thought the seal between the tray and the inside top of the rabbit was good enough to work. It was----except for two spots.
Uhoh
Uhoh The semi dry (I needed two layers) first pour epoxy had seeped through those two areas and stuck the tray to my work bench top  well enough to require a pry bar to separate.
Crazy

I know---pictures. On their way, since the epoxy is still drying and I still have 15 sets of handles to cut out, machine and install before finishing.

Ok, a teaser----The tray with initials in the epoxy treated. The top is colored epoxy in a routed channel(not really happy with this)

You shouldn't have much problem with the lacquer, it's pretty forgiving and easy to spray. I've never tried brushing it, so don't know how hard that is to do. I have to ask: what is that routed channel supposed to be?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Abstract figure.

I did some finishing this morning. My lacquer application prep was inadequate. Basement shop, no direct AC/heating, so little air movement. Opened the door to the outside, put a small fan with the work/me between the fan/door. Donned my filter mask and was able to get three trays done before the odor got too intense for the rest of the basement.

It brushes easily on thin spaces(frames/handles). I like the look(versus water poly).
I like the appearance of it as well, I do wish it was a little more durable tho'. But you described the biggest inconvenience of using it, the fumes. Since they can go boom I usually only spray it when I can do so outside.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Mac, have you ever considered General Finish High Performance? Waterbourne, brushes easily and flows out nice. You could rattle can shellac an undercoat to pop the grain before hand. Or mix up a light cut and hand apply. The GF HP isn’t the most durable finish out there but I’d think it would still be ok if not abused. Wipe on oil based poly would be another option.

Hadn't so far, but will put it on the try list.
Yes