Miter saw acting weird (re-titled thread)
You may have to dremel out the screw holes a bit. It should have a dab of play.

If you force it back far enough, it may stay. Who knows......
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Hopefully I can get back in touch with that same rep at DeWalt in the next couple of days, or at least reach someone who won't try to immediately dismiss me to Amazon. My intent wasn't even to exchange the whole tool...the rest of it works pretty much perfectly. I guess the guy must have misunderstood me or just didn't feel like going the whole nine yards with this, because I remember Bosch was REALLY good about sending replacement parts with something I got from them. Granted, that sander didn't end up working out, but the point is, I got that tool off of Amazon as well, and they still sent me replacement stuff before ever telling me to go back to Amazon. Hopefully this situation doesn't end up with the tool not working out like with that sander.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
I'd rather fix it (20 minute fix?) than deal with boxing the darn thing up, getting the del man to get it picked up, then have to await another saw, unbox and set that one up.
Now if it was totally foofoo'ed, yea I would send it back.
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Just my thoughts, but I don't see the c-clamp trick working with countersunk head machine bolts, I think the corresponding countersink in the fence will continue to draw the fence back to the same original position. Plus, if it did work, who's to say if it won't push the fence faces out of the same plane. Honestly, if you are determined to fix this yourself (Yes I know, there are many people here who think it should be returned, I'm NOT disputing this!), I would look at having the fence face re-machined, then reinstall and true things up using your miter detent plate adjustment. But first....is the discrepancy the same when you remove the fence from the saw? If not, there would be no way to jig up the fence to machine it accurately, as it would just again move when re-installed...something to check first.

But...the clamp is certainly worth a try...

Steve
(12-17-2018, 08:47 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I'd rather fix it (20 minute fix?) than deal with boxing the darn thing up, getting the del man to get it picked up, then have to await another saw, unbox and set that one up.
Now if it was totally foofoo'ed, yea I would send it back.

I'm of the same mind, if it's a relatively simple fix, and the tool is otherwise sound.
At the risk of foofoo'in one of my 708's fence adjustment up (Yea, I clamped it down first), I removed 2 of the fence screws on the right side. There is a 1/16" play to move the fence. Mine will move forward, but not backwards, as the slop in the hole on mine is on the back of the fence hole.

So depending on where your fence is on the table...........you may have to reduce the screwhead diameter, which would be a simple fix.

I'd still opt to get  the new fence from Dewalt. But until then....
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-17-2018, 08:48 PM)Steve in Nova Scotia Wrote: Just my thoughts, but I don't see the c-clamp trick working with countersunk head machine bolts

They are not countersunk, unless his new 709 has changed.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-17-2018, 09:11 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: They are not countersunk, unless his new 709 has changed.

It was stated that they were countersunk...
(12-17-2018, 09:15 PM)Steve in Nova Scotia Wrote: It was stated that they were countersunk...

Here:

"Stwood, looks simple enough, but are you sure it'll work even with the countersunk bolt inserts in the fence? And with that force in play, is there a chance the fence will snap back as soon as I remove the setup you showed me?"
(12-17-2018, 09:15 PM)Steve in Nova Scotia Wrote: It was stated that they were countersunk...

Not me.....
Winkgrin
Laugh

This whole thread has a sunk in it...somewhere.....
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020