Mylands friction polish
(12-17-2018, 04:56 PM)AHill Wrote: Those ingredients are butyl alcohol, ethanol (ethyl alcohol), and kerosene.  Mylands does have wax in it - most likely beeswax.  Most friction polishes do.  The listing of ethanol and butyl alcohol is a sure bet it has shellac in it.  If it were just shellac, it wouldn't build up well under friction.  It's also possible it has BLO in it.  The kerosene would help the BLO dry out under the heat of the friction during application.  Since beeswax doesn't buff to a high gloss, following up with a hard wax like carnauba would allow a higher gloss finish.

I am wondering why they have all those oil products in it?  I would think one of them would be OK?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-17-2018, 11:56 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I am wondering why they have all those oil products in it?  I would think one of them would be OK?

The alcohols are not "oil products."  They are solvent for shellac.  Butanol will extend the wet time over ethanol, because of its lower vapor pressure.  Kerosene, and any oil/wax products it thins for better penetration, are oil products.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
A very popular formula for friction polish is shellac, denatured alcohol, and BLO. The shellac is the finish. The alcohol is the solvent / thinner for the shellac, and the BLO is the lubricant (shellac is normally pretty sticky if used by itself). Those three together is also known as a French polish. The reason I believe Mylands has wax in it is because of the kerosene. Kerosene is a nice wax solvent, and being oil, it will also serve as a lubricant. Kerosene is less than half the price of BLO, and due to its volatility, it's not likely to provide any kind of finish to the workpiece. Since much of my research indicates Mylands is a longer lasting finish, this is why I believe it has some wax in it. I could be wrong. I've not used Mylands.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-19-2018, 02:22 PM)AHill Wrote: A very popular formula for friction polish is shellac, denatured alcohol, and BLO.  The shellac is the finish.  The alcohol is the solvent / thinner for the shellac, and the BLO is the lubricant (shellac is normally pretty sticky if used by itself).  Those three together is also known as a French polish.  The reason I believe Mylands has wax in it is because of the kerosene.  Kerosene is a nice wax solvent, and being oil, it will also serve as a lubricant.  Kerosene is less than half the price of BLO, and due to its volatility, it's not likely to provide any kind of finish to the workpiece.  Since much of my research indicates Mylands is a longer lasting finish, this is why I believe it has some wax in it.  I could be wrong.  I've not used Mylands.

yes it does have some wax in it. works great for tool handles and about all I use it for. Don't try to put another finish over it. it won't work, DAHIKT
Uhoh
Laugh I don't think it will go bad I have had some for 5 years . just shake and apply
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop