Diamond stone suggestions
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the above listed stones from DMT along with a medium extra fine stone (4000 grit / 6-micron) and a leather strop with a green block.

I ordered a lot of stones but I am using these for not just my woodworking sharpening blades but a lot of knives as well so I bought different stone grits for what I like to sharpen to with the different blade uses.

Thanks for the insight all.
Bruce.
You won’t be disappointed. That said, sharpening is about 10% equipment and 90% technique. So practice a lot, and stick with the system until you can reliably get great results from it.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I got my DMT stones  and do really like them, I bought  a few other fancy gadgets along with them.

One thing I never really had since I moved my shop down the basement was a dedicated sharpening station.

Today that changed. Here is where all my sharpening happens now from plane blades to kitchen knives.

I think this will do me fine, and it seems to me it will be much easier to sharpen my blades with everything readily available and set up instead of pulling out buckets and boxes of assorted sharpening stuff just to hone a blade. I think I neglected honing more than once just for that reason, the hassle of dragging everything out. Lazy? probably but I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0l5qXGF1ZdcxC
Bruce.
(12-15-2018, 11:16 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Mike...the  .060" thickness steel/diamond plates sold by Amazon and mounted on a Worksharp {or a Veritas MKII} are an eye opener.
Big eek  
Big eek ...After so long a time sharpening, it takes a lot to surprise me, but theses discs did just that...They cost about ten bucks each in 6" diameter and are available in a multitude of grit sizes..I have about six or seven of them now, including three for my MKII which is 8" dia.,..They require very little "downforce" to use but they cut quickly and consistently. After they lose the first "bite", they perform as you would expect..I sharpen freehand on them and I use a few drops of any type of oil for a little lube to reduce "loading"..The 8" diameter discs are large enough for chisels and smaller blades to be used by hand and off the Worksharp machine, used just like a hand hone...They do offer one disc in the 8" size that has an industrial coating and heavy concentration diamond. It's about 16 buck IIRC..These things can also be used to sharpen carbide lathe tools and router bits.

Jack, can you specify the manufacture of these plates?
Jack,
Link on the plates please.

Thanks
(01-06-2019, 03:18 PM)digger Wrote: Jack,
Link on the plates please.

Thanks
Try Amazon...search box...Diamond lap discs..It's where I bought mine..I would post the link but for some reason my account history shows up.
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-06-2019, 02:46 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Jack, can you specify the manufacture of these plates?

Ag, it's Drilax brand....there are others as well...all seem to be about the same...the price may differ slightly.

Remember...very light pressure and a few drops of oil...clean with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel...The 8" plates have a slightly larger mounting hole, but you can make a bushing out of wood or aluminum on your wood lathe...Use a spacer to elevate the disc if you mount an 8" plate on your workshop 3000...The bolt to hold the disc is 1/4"X20tpi.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-06-2019, 04:05 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...................
Ag, it's Drilax brand....there are others as well...all seem to be about the same...the price may differ slightly.

Remember...very light pressure and a few drops of oil...clean with rubbing alcohol and a paper towel...The 8" plates have a slightly larger mounting hole, but you can make a bushing out of wood or aluminum on your wood lathe...Use a spacer to elevate the disc if you mount an 8" plate on your workshop 3000...The bolt to hold the disc is 1/4"X20tpi.

Thank you, Jack.
(01-06-2019, 02:05 PM)stillgotten Wrote: I got my DMT stones  and do really like them, I bought  a few other fancy gadgets along with them.

One thing I never really had since I moved my shop down the basement was a dedicated sharpening station.

Today that changed. Here is where all my sharpening happens now from plane blades to kitchen knives.

I think this will do me fine, and it seems to me it will be much easier to sharpen my blades with everything readily available and set up instead of pulling out buckets and boxes of assorted sharpening stuff just to hone a blade. I think I neglected honing more than once just for that reason, the hassle of dragging everything out. Lazy? probably but I'd be lying if I said otherwise.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0l5qXGF1ZdcxC

I used to bring a coarse and extra coarse with me when I traveled to repair a nick since I couldn't bring a grinder.  Generally those stones would cut that fast.

Now I have the set you have (more or less) minus the extra extra fine.  My boys and I used them at our barn, which is open to the elements for the most part, lacks electricity etc.  I thought these would be more damage tolerant if the boys dropped them etc.

Really like using them. Lacking the EEF is a noticeable gap. The finish from the EF just isn't up to my standards.

We also like the plastic stone holders.  I would never use one for a Arkansas stone.  Always wooden boxes.  But for these steel plates the magnetic holders work well. You could put a PSA backed magnetic sheet on a 2X4, but the magnet on the store bought holder is a bit stronger than the sheet I bought on amazon. And the little rubber feet stop the holders from rocking.  The little feet that stick on the plates didn't work for me.  And I didn't like the low height anyway.

So, YES!, I like those diasharp plates and I like the plastic holder they sell for them.

BTW, we have been honing with a spritz of windex on the plates, which seems to prevent any swarf build up.
I tried diamond stones and went back to Waterstones shortly after. The only thing I use my diamond stones for is to flatten my Waterstones.

carl