Diamond stone suggestions
(01-14-2019, 09:48 AM)Carl Grover Wrote: I tried diamond stones and went back to Waterstones shortly after. The only thing I use my diamond stones for is to flatten my Waterstones.

carl

Interested to know what turned you off on the diamonds, so far I haven't found anything that I dislike about them , but it's new to me so....
Bruce.
(01-14-2019, 12:35 PM)stillgotten Wrote: Interested to know what turned you off on the diamonds, so far I haven't found anything that I dislike about them , but it's new to me so....

Didn't seem to cut very well after awhile. I felt like I had worn them down. With Waterstones you always get the same performance out of each grit.

carl
(01-14-2019, 09:48 AM)Carl Grover Wrote: I tried diamond stones and went back to Waterstones shortly after. The only thing I use my diamond stones for is to flatten my Waterstones.

carl

Carl, not trying to talk you out of or into anything - what brand did you try and how long ago was that?

I had a diamond stone many years ago that wasn't very coarse, wasn't fast cutting and I felt like I scraped all the grit off of it in a week.  I recall people saying that's how they were.  Loose diamonds come off initially, then the "stone" settles into a finer and slower cutting stone.

I have 8" diasharp stones now.  I bought them less than 3 years ago.  They do change slightly after first use, but nothing like I recall.  I have one that feels like its 80 or 100 grit and it will rip an edge off a hardened steel blade like a powered grinder. As I said earlier, I don't have the EEF stone and I feel I need it. The EF isn't giving me the finish I want.
(01-15-2019, 12:42 PM)Carl Grover Wrote: Didn't seem to cut very well after awhile. I felt like I had worn them down. With Waterstones you always get the same performance out of each grit.

carl

I read that others have had your same experiences with diamond stones but I figured it was contributed to the "breaking in' of the stone.

Adam, there is one grit between the EF and EEF, it is not advertised so well( I don't know why). It's the MEF (Medium Extra Fine) which is a 6 micron(4000 grit).
Not that it's all that necessary but just pointing out that it is available.
Bruce.
(01-15-2019, 02:43 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Carl, not trying to talk you out of or into anything - what brand did you try and how long ago was that?

I had a diamond stone many years ago that wasn't very coarse, wasn't fast cutting and I felt like I scraped all the grit off of it in a week.  I recall people saying that's how they were.  Loose diamonds come off initially, then the "stone" settles into a finer and slower cutting stone.

I have 8" diasharp stones now.  I bought them less than 3 years ago.  They do change slightly after first use, but nothing like I recall.  I have one that feels like its 80 or 100 grit and it will rip an edge off a hardened steel blade like a powered grinder. As I said earlier, I don't have the EEF stone and I feel I need it. The EF isn't giving me the finish I want.
I believe mine is a DMT diasharp. I've had them for a long time, easy over 10 years. In that time I've used all of the 4,000 grit on my Norton 4,000/8,000 wetstone.

carl
I need a finer stone than my EF Dia-Sharp. Dia-Sharp EEF or Spyderco UF?  Want a modern stone that needs nothing to work that the boys can't insta-ruin.

Adam
The Spyderco ultra fine is the equivalent of a leather strop and is about as much a lifetime tool as you can buy.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(01-18-2019, 04:02 PM)adamcherubini Wrote: Adam,

I have used the EEF for about 5 or 6 years. It's as good as their other "stones", which are fantastic. I bought it after I read that Mary May used on her carving tools.  I have and use the C, M, F & EF. These are going on 10 + years old. I strop after the EEF. The result is a scratch free mirror finish. A fast and minimal mess method. 
I think it will hold up to your boys efforts just fine. 

Good luck!

I need a finer stone than my EF Dia-Sharp. Dia-Sharp EEF or Spyderco UF?  Want a modern stone that needs nothing to work that the boys can't insta-ruin.

Adam
I found this video from Stumpy to be informative.

I now understand the difference between mono and ploy, glue and electro - plating.

Really worth a look if you are in the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBND6emsSE4

Ag