Six way block for GFCI outlet?
In my garage, most of the 110v outlets are GFCI.  Since two receptacles for one outlet is never enough, and though I usually only power one tool at a time, I want to install 6 way blocks over them, like this: Amazon

Obviously, they aren't GFCI and I know the GFCI will still work, but if tripped you would have to remove the center screw to push the button to reset.  This seems clumsy.

Why don't they make 6 way blocks that are GFCI?  Or does someone have a better idea?
(12-18-2018, 11:24 AM)rschissler Wrote: In my garage, most of the 110v outlets are GFCI.  Since two receptacles for one outlet is never enough, and though I usually only power one tool at a time, I want to install 6 way blocks over them, like this: Amazon

Obviously, they aren't GFCI and I know the GFCI will still work, but if tripped you would have to remove the center screw to push the button to reset.  This seems clumsy.

Why don't they make 6 way blocks that are GFCI?  Or does someone have a better idea?

My shop was wired with the first outlet on the circuit being a GFI outlet, but the downstream outlets are standard outlets, protected by the upstream GFI outlet.   No issue with a 6 way block on the down stream outlets, I just use an outlet strip when needed on the GFI outlet itself.

Dave
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
You won't have to remove the center screw because there won't be one.  GFCI receptacles don't have the center screw.

And Bit_Fiddler suggested what I prefer.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I installed GFCI breakers in my new shop. So far I like them.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(12-18-2018, 12:51 PM)TDKPE Wrote: You won't have to remove the center screw because there won't be one.  GFCI receptacles don't have the center screw.

And Bit_Fiddler suggested what I prefer.

Duh...
Just wondering why GFIC in the shop? I though they were only required when near a sink or water. I installed Arc Fault breakers for all the outlets in the shop. The only problem I have had is on the chop saw, the circuit pops. I think it is because of the vacume and the chop saw running at the same time with the vacume running a second or so after the chop saw stops. Tamper resistant outlets are now required when the outlet is 5 1/2 ft or less from the floor. They are a PITA to plug into, at least the ones I installed.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(12-18-2018, 01:49 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: Just wondering why GFIC in the shop? I though they were only required when near a sink or water. I installed Arc Fault breakers for all the outlets in the shop. The only problem I have had is on the chop saw, the circuit pops. I think it is because of the vacume and the chop saw running at the same time with the vacume running a second or so after the chop saw stops. Tamper resistant outlets are now required when the outlet is 5 1/2 ft or less from the floor. They are a PITA to plug into, at least the ones I installed.

The electrician told me that GFCI protection is required now in garages and outbuildings due to grounding risk of puddles and wet ground.  No idea if true or not, but that is what I was told.
MKM - Master Kindling Maker
(12-18-2018, 03:11 PM)Bit_Fiddler Wrote: The electrician told me that GFCI protection is required now in garages and outbuildings due to grounding risk of puddles and wet ground.  No idea if true or not, but that is what I was told.

True including the garage door opener outlet.    People plug drop lights into them.   Roly
I don't have a GFCI on the place.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-18-2018, 03:11 PM)Bit_Fiddler Wrote: The electrician told me that GFCI protection is required now in garages and outbuildings due to grounding risk of puddles and wet ground.  No idea if true or not, but that is what I was told.

Even what seems to be a dry concrete floor usually contains enough moisture that it's essentially the same as the dirt outside.  I've gotten tickled or worse plenty of times touching something I shouldn't be touching while standing on a dry concrete floor.  In fact, it's legal to use rebar in concrete footings as the grounding electrode system (Ufer ground).
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"