All you need to know about CBN wheels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOXXiPK1L4s
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Great video. Makes me want a set of them. I wonder what RPM grinder he was using?

Where does one get the tubular tool rest? Does not come with the grinder.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I’m pretty sure it’s a Tormek and I believe I read Tormek offers a kit for this kind of thing.

(12-24-2018, 07:33 PM)Kansas City Fireslayer Wrote: Great video.  Makes me want a set of them.  I wonder what RPM grinder he was using?
Not sure what speed he was using but I have a two-speed grinder { 1725/3450 } and I much prefer the slower speed of 1725rpm..The wheel I have is 180grit at 8" diameter...A six inch diameter should work fine on smaller 3450rpm grinders..I recommend only the 180grit...And never use it on any metal other than hardened steel..If it is hard, it does not have to be HSS..It doesn't "wear away" like a vitrified wheel and you cannot "dress it", so metal swarf can cause it to load up...They are a joy to use.....

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I posted this information some years ago. In fact, Stumpy's set up is a copy of mine.

Article: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTec...SetUp.html

At the time I posted this, only some turners were familiar with cbn wheels. They have been around a long time. As far as I am aware, my article was the first blog on their advantages for flat woodworking.

[Image: UltimateGrindingSharpeningSetUp_html_5c5d41f4.jpg]

Please read it to avoid purchasing the wrong wheel.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(12-24-2018, 09:32 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: I posted this information some years ago. In fact, Stumpy's set up is a copy of mine.

Article:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTec...SetUp.html

At the time I posted this, only some turners were familiar with cbn wheels. They have been around a long time. As far as I am aware, my article was the first blog on their advantages for flat woodworking.

[Image: UltimateGrindingSharpeningSetUp_html_5c5d41f4.jpg]

Please read it to avoid purchasing the wrong wheel.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I remember you posting your experience with these wheels, Derek and it helped me with the decision to buy one a few years after you posted....I have some lathes but didn't buy it to sharpen lathe chisels....I sometimes use it for hollow grinding knife blades and it works well for that...Your post is outstanding....
    I also liked you clever use ot the Tormek guide bars and may someday make something to utilize one on one of my wheel or belt grinders.
    Like you, I love diamond paste and have used it for fifty years in my lapidary hobby and also sharpening...but a couple of years ago I bought some CBN powder to experiment with honing on a cast iron plate..The powder turned out to be too coarse and I have not been able to locate a source for a small quantity of a finer grit size..so I can't compare it to the results I get with diamonds.

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Even more, info to help the descent into the rabbit hole that is CBN.

This is from Reed Gray aka robohippy

CBN wheel info
(12-31-2018, 12:15 AM)Huxleywood Wrote: Even more, info to help the descent into the rabbit hole that is CBN.

This is from Reed Gray aka robohippy

CBN wheel info

Very informative....Lots of new information........thanks..

Get off my lawn !
Upset