Aircraft carrier sighting
I saw a very old 16" jointer for sale last weekend. Square head, don't know the manufacturer. It's in Framingham, MA. If you want the phone number, message me.
(12-19-2018, 07:26 AM)SteveF Wrote: I saw a very old 16" jointer for sale last weekend. Square head, don't know the manufacturer. It's in Framingham, MA. If you want the phone number, message me.

16 inch isn't much of an air craft carrier. Just a mid sized jointer.

Sounds like it would need an upgrade with a modern cutterhead and some guards and be good to go for another century or two.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Hey Steve! Would you help carry it down to my basement shop? Free beer afterward 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(12-21-2018, 04:45 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Hey Steve! Would you help carry it down to my basement shop? Free beer afterward 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

g
I'd have been happy to help.
Smile

I just spoke to the guy that had this a little while ago, somebody picked it up today.
Shame on me for having to click the thread before I could figure out what the OP meant by "aircraft carrier". 
No
Big Grin

I did find at least one 16" jointer for sale on craigslist in California, but it's like $5K...for a used jointer that size I'd be looking for something closer to $1K (which I do believe I've seen before). I'd be okay with having to get things re-ground and polished as well as doing upgrades if I could score a 16" jointer for $1K or less. For now, I'm only aiming to get an 8" one in the future unless a bigger one can be found for under $1K (and has the ability to be put on a mobile base, of course!).

I don't think this one is for sale, but it's relevant to the topic. It's a 36" model! That's the biggest I've heard of! Looks like an aircraft carrier, but sounds like an airplane (on shutdown, that is)!

Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(12-22-2018, 04:04 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Shame on me for having to click the thread before I could figure out what the OP meant by "aircraft carrier". 
No
Big Grin

I did find at least one 16" jointer for sale on craigslist in California, but it's like $5K...for a used jointer that size I'd be looking for something closer to $1K (which I do believe I've seen before). I'd be okay with having to get things re-ground and polished as well as doing upgrades if I could score a 16" jointer for $1K or less. For now, I'm only aiming to get an 8" one in the future unless a bigger one can be found for under $1K (and has the ability to be put on a mobile base, of course!).

I don't think this one is for sale, but it's relevant to the topic. It's a 36" model! That's the biggest I've heard of! Looks like an aircraft carrier, but sounds like an airplane (on shutdown, that is)!

Come to find out, my size estimate was wrong. It was actually a 20", sold for $100.
(12-22-2018, 06:18 PM)SteveF Wrote: Come to find out, my size estimate was wrong. It was actually a 20", sold for $100.

Big eek 
Big eek 
Big eek 
Big eek 
Big eek $100!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? 
Big eek
Big eek
Big eek
Big eek
Big eek That price for me comfortably fits into the "too good to be true" category for anything over a used benchtop jointer!

What kind of shape was it in (other than having the outdated square cutterhead)? Any pics?
Near future projects:

(12-22-2018, 06:44 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote:
Big eek 
Big eek 
Big eek 
Big eek 
Big eek $100!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? 
Big eek
Big eek
Big eek
Big eek
Big eek That price for me comfortably fits into the "too good to be true" category for anything over a used benchtop jointer!

What kind of shape was it in (other than having the outdated square cutterhead)? Any pics?

No, I never measured it or took pics. I had no interest in it for myself. I just saw a large jointer with a square cutterhead. I'm not even sure if a fence was there or not.
(12-22-2018, 07:01 PM)SteveF Wrote: No, I never measured it or took pics. I had no interest in it for myself. I just saw a large jointer with a square cutterhead. I'm not even sure if a fence was there or not.
Ok, gotcha. As far as the fence goes, I saw this video of a combo machine on youtube, and they're basically just using some framing stock as a fence. Not sure if this model just didn't come with a fence or if it the fence that was supposed to be there wasn't included with the machine. If it's the latter, I wonder if there are models that just didn't include fences?

Near future projects: