Any reason to NOT run a 2hp motor on my 14" BS?
(12-30-2018, 11:33 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I assume "permanently lubricated" means sealed bearings, right?  I'll be replacing them either way; no reason not to.

Yes
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(12-29-2018, 04:53 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I was given a 220V, 2hp, 3ph mirror that fits my Delta BS (56 frame).  I already have a phase converter, so that's not an issue.

I do a lot of resawing (with a proper blade, of course).  It currently has a 3/4hp motor.

Is there any reason I *shouldn't* use a motor with this rating?  I know it's overkill, but free is free, and if it's an upgrade, well, it's free.

Delta offered the 14" with a 2 hp motor in the early 2000's, in both single- and three-phase flavors.  Just so you know.

As to being overkill, I'm not so sure it is.  When doing heavy work like resawing and ripping, most folks load machines with smaller motors well beyond the rated continuous power output of the motor, but under the same conditions the larger motor isn't working as hard relative to its capabilities.  Of course, it's not like folks are frying their BS motors routinely from heavy work, but 'oversized' is more like 'right-sized' for heavy work, and there's no downside for light work.  As I see it, at least.  
Raised
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Wiring question:

Do I need any form of protection for this motor? On my BS I can't see it being overburdened. I assume I need to replace the current switch with one rated for 250V.

I've decided to run the 1ph 220V motor my FIL gave me and use the 3ph 220V motor for my eventual edge sander build.

(edit)

Opened up the switch. It's rated for 250V, so I'm good there.
Semper fi,
Brad

I put a 3 horse on my HF band saw years ago so I could resaw Oak panels for a dresser.   Man what a difference, as jteneyck mentioned earlier it was a great upgrade.   Have done a few resaw sessions over the years and have never had any problems.
(01-02-2019, 01:47 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Wiring question:

Do I need any form of protection for this motor? 

Article 430.32(a)(1) and (2) says you don't, being that it's attended, within sight of the controller, and 1 hp or less.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"