Maslow CNC? Anyone try one
Just stumbled on the Maslow CNC kits for $500
Looks like a really interesting open source design for guys like me that have some interest in CNC but don’t want to spend a bunch of money or use full flat space for it

There’s also Goliath CNC that looks like a viable small shop alternative but it doesn’t look like it’s available yet
I could be wrong, but I don't think it supports any sort of depth control on the Z-axis.

So if you want to cut 3/4" plywood (for example), you'd need to either try to cut it in a single pass (probably wouldn't work), or you'd have to take a lot of lighter passes but between each pass, you'd need to turn off the router, adjust the depth, and start again.

And if you want to cut a piece of plywood into a bunch of pieces, moving from one cut to another would also likely require turning off the router and lifting the bit.
Your correct that the first generation of the Maslow didn’t have depth adjustment, but the current shipped product does have Z axis adjustment.

There certainly are limitations apparently you lose accuracy in the bottom corners of a sheet of plywood, and you need to have something to keep the router from tipping if you get close to the edge of a sheet of plywood.

For someone like myself thats just a hobby woodworker I like the idea of CNC as it would make lots of stuff possible, but I just don’t know if I would use one enough to make it worth buying, or making, but with something like the Maslow, I could see trying it out and if I didn’t get much use out of it I wouldn’t feel as bad about sinking $500-600 into it as opposed to $5000 plus.

As for the Goliath, I just can’t see how just the weight of the router is enough to make those little wheels keep traction in sawdust.

Duke
(12-30-2018, 03:04 PM)JDuke Wrote: As for the Goliath, I just can’t see how just the weight of the router is enough to make those little wheels keep traction in sawdust.

Duke

what i thought about the goliath was what happens to the cut quality when its running over the sawdust. seems it would be like routing while driving down a dirt road.
If your budget is limited, try out some of the diy CNC.
People have built the Joe's Hybrid (mdf carriages, mach 3, cut2d, angle iron rails, rack and pinion) for about 2000, and that included 400 for the kit of MDF carriages, which you could make yourself and pocket screw together. the forum costs 100 to join, but that is worth it, even if you don't use his plans. Now there are better and more expensive models, but that would get your feet wet.

CNC router parts has some plans as well, there is a kit for a 2' x 4' cutting area for 3500.
This is expandable in the future if you want more space in the future. I have not built one of these, but the nice thing is that people say it can be built in a weekend. Joe's plans are great but require you to order stuff from many vendors and is more diy. (note, you would have to buy software in addition to the part kit, I assume)

I am sure there are many other diy plans out there too.
Having built a Joes hybrid and kept a bom at the time, $2000 is on the extremely low low end. $3000 and $3500 are more accurate. $2000 is prob what they told their spouse it cost. Mdf is not the expense in the machine. That build is easily 10-12 $300 purchase with a grand going to cncrp. All this is no software eithe shy of mach 3 license.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have been thinking about dabbling into CNC for several years, so I have a pretty good idea what a Gantry build would cost, I also know that I tend to over build things and would probably spend a lot more than the bottom end.

The cost is only part of what’s been keeping me from jumping with both feet into CNC.

Space is the other big consideration, as up until a couple years ago the biggest shop I had been blessed with was about 500 square feet.

Currently I’m haveing built a 30x60 metal building for my shop, so space will be less of a consideration but still wont be unlimited.

I have a CNC benchtop metal working mill and haven’t really even scratched the surface of what you can do with it.

What I have figured out though is that for me, the time spent drawing something in a CAD program, then transferring it to CAM and finally generating G-code is time consuming enough that I am not sure how much I’d use it, and I would hate to have a big CNC taking up a lot of space in my shop and not getting used.

In other words, I like to dream about what I could do with a CNC router much more than I’d probably use it.

Duke
(01-01-2019, 01:56 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Having built a Joes hybrid and kept a bom at the time, $2000 is on the extremely low low end. $3000  and $3500 are more accurate. $2000 is prob what they told their spouse it cost. Mdf is not the expense in the machine. That build is easily 10-12 $300 purchase with a grand going to cncrp. All this is no software eithe shy of mach 3  license.

Someone on Joe's site had a detailed "build of materials" and they could do it for 2k by skimping. I think it was Joe himself.
It was rack and pinion too.

At the time, the MDF kit was $400.. that's why I think it still might be feasible.  They included Mach and Cut2d in it.
They also included a low end PC with it (I think monitor too)
So yes, no Aspire or Vcarve included.   
I looked on the forum briefly, I could not find it. I do not know if it is still there or not.
Some people use Fusion 360, which is free for personal use, so that saves you some more money.

Now have prices gone up in the past 5 years or so? Probably. but I think you could still do a bare bones Joes R+P for 2k.
IT would not be the new "evolution" but still functional.. 

Now, I agree with you, most people spend more than 2k.
(01-01-2019, 05:55 PM)JDuke Wrote: I have been thinking about dabbling into CNC for several years, so I have a pretty good idea what a Gantry build would cost, I also know that I tend to over build things and would probably spend a lot more than the bottom end.

The cost is only part of what’s been keeping me from jumping with both feet into CNC.

Space is the other big consideration, as up until a couple years ago the biggest shop I had been blessed with was about 500 square feet.

Currently I’m haveing built a 30x60 metal building for my shop, so space will be less of a consideration but still wont be unlimited.

I have a CNC benchtop metal working mill and haven’t really even scratched the surface of what you can do with it.

What I have figured out though is that for me, the time spent drawing something in a CAD program, then transferring it to CAM and finally generating G-code is time consuming enough that I am not sure how much I’d use it, and I would hate to have a big CNC taking up a lot of space in my shop and not getting used.

In other words, I like to dream about what I could do with a CNC router much more than I’d probably use it.

Duke

It depends on what type of woodworking you do.
Here's what I use my CNC for:
1.  on solid wood construction, tapered sliding dovetails for assembling the carcass
2.  Dovetailing solid wood drawers (sell your dovetail jig to help pay for it
3.  Making domino slots on the sides of bookcases when using plywood, saves me from having to do dados or other methods
4. Making my own crown molding.  Takes longer than a molder, but let me get rid of another machine.
5. Making my own table legs.
6.  Making a "straight line cut" on rough lumber when it is too far out of whack to join (saves a rip jig)
7. Making wooden "Award plaques" for various clubs

IT all depends on the type of woodworking you do.. I agree, it is a waste for some people.
There is a big learning curve, and if you do a DIY build, it is a lot of time an labor to do it.