Playing with Fire
This is my attempt at Shou Sugi Ban finishing.  I stopped short of the full char that you normally go for because I like the way the grain was being highlighted.  It's a piece of fir scrap.

How will you finish it.
(12-30-2018, 06:34 PM)badwhiskey Wrote: This is my attempt at Shou Sugi Ban finishing.  I stopped short of the full char that you normally go for because I like the way the grain was being highlighted.  It's a piece of fir scrap.

I am thinking with metal tape a person could do all kinds of designs in wood.  I think I will try it when I get more tape.  Thanks for the video.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-30-2018, 11:36 PM)gear jammer Wrote: How will you finish it.

For this one, I did a rattle can shellac.  The burning left soot which I was afraid would smudge with a wipe on finish.  For the true Japanese finish, you burn longer until the harder wood darkens, then you wire brush off the soft charred and sooty stuff.  It makes basically a reverse of what I have.  If you want, BLO is enough to finish the true finish.
This is pretty neat, if you do any more please post it.