Rust hunting
I was at my granddaughter's birthday party yesterday and afterwards my wife wanted to go to a couple of second hand shops and a place I had never heard of, The Rusty Bucket. It was an adventure just finding it, Down a dirt road stuck in between a couple of old buildings.  It looked like an old abandoned garage.

Anyway I found a screw that I think will make an unique leg vise screw. I love making  wood working benches.  He said he thought it was off an old apple cider press. If someone else knows for sure what it was used for I would be interested in finding out what it was used for if not a apple press. I know it is not an older leg vise screw, The first picture is that of an older screw.

He also asked what else we were interested in and I told him antique wood working tools he showed me what he had. Then he found out we have an antique shop and that he had heard of and he was thrilled to meet us, talked our leg off and gave us 50% off what we had picked out, so I ended up buying the screw and the Stanley #4 for $15 

First picture is a leg vise screw 

The next are of the screw

And lastly the plane. and as I was taking pictures of the plane I thought I saw some cracks, picture 2 and 3 so out came some sand paper and low and behold , no cracks just lined in the rust. Not sure of the type, has a small adjustment wheel and a frog adjusting screw, no casting numbers, solid face on the frog and a key hole on the lever cap, so I am guessing 13 or above

All in all it was a good day.

Tom
Yes. Screw looks to be from a press. Apple, grape.......etc. The wood piece probably spanned the top of the bucket.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Plane is from a line of Stanley Homeowner Tools called  Four Square.....late 20s to mid 1930s.....there were also lever caps with  those same four red squares.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(01-07-2019, 03:04 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Plane is from a line of Stanley Homeowner Tools called  Four Square.....late 20s to mid 1930s.....there were also lever caps with  those same four red squares.
I saw the 4 square on the tote but totes have been known to get changed out.  I didn't think any of the 4 squares had frog adjusting screws and when I saw the frog adjusting screw and a period lever cap I didn't really look any closer. . But since you mentioned it I took a closer look at the body it only has a #4 on it. The frog is a solid face but  it looks like the Stanley's without an adjusting screw. I think you are correct about it being a 4 Square. Yes I have seen the 4 square lever caps and this one has a regular Stanley cap.  Goes to show, you no mater how many planes a person has purchased, one still needs to look a little closer

Anyway, the price was right and I am sure I can make a very good plane out of it. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Tom