New wood river 5 1/2 jack plane
(01-10-2019, 10:01 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: ...

This is the first time I heard that one needs to do anything about the chip-breaker when one gets a brand new plane. I know people will either return the plane or get a replacement chip-breaker from the vendor if the new chip-breaker fails to work in a new plane.

Well, it was not my intention to suggest honing chip-breaker is unconditionally required. However, from preceding [early ] responses OP could have impression that you never touch c/b.
It is possible that someone reading this discussin, who 'restored' old plane and never 'sharpened' the c/b will think again...

P.S. David, it is nice you check the site from time to time.
(01-11-2019, 02:38 PM)omark Wrote: Well, it was not my intention to suggest honing chip-breaker is unconditionally required. However, from preceding [early ] responses OP could have impression that you never touch c/b.

Thanks for your clarification.

I think by now the message is clear to everyone, especially any new plane users reading this thread: 

A new plane from a reputable plane maker can and should be used without anything done to the chip-breaker. If there is an issue with the chip-breaker, it is not a design issue, it is a QA issue. And the defect can be dealt with by the vendor, or by the new owner only if he or she wishes to do so. 

The chip-breaker of course can be touched even if it is new and working well. Some of us even have a back-beveled chip-breaker. Same for plane blades...some of us back bevel a blade (not the same as ruler trick). 

Simon
Whew! This thread came dangerously close to someone tossing out the BU vs. BD argument! He he he.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(01-11-2019, 03:55 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Whew!  This thread came dangerously close to someone tossing out the BU vs. BD argument! He he he.

Laugh
(01-11-2019, 03:55 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Whew!  This thread came dangerously close to someone tossing out the BU vs. BD argument! He he he.

Well, there's no chipbreakers on BU planes......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-11-2019, 06:22 PM)Admiral Wrote: Well, there's no chipbreakers on BU planes......

Always the cap iron...
www.metaltech-pm.com
(01-11-2019, 06:22 PM)Admiral Wrote: Well, there's no chipbreakers on BU planes......

But in the world of BUs... could someone be honing the lever cap instead?!
Winkgrin
Simon
(01-11-2019, 10:43 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: But in the world of BUs... could someone be honing the lever cap instead?!
Winkgrin
Simon

I have honed the adjustable mouth on one of mine.
Smile
I have removed the adjustable mouth of my #62, milled a cross slot in it, installed a magnet there (well ahead of the mouth). Works very well in gathering loose screws, nails etc., so I don't run over them with the plane...
www.metaltech-pm.com
(01-12-2019, 07:38 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Works very well in gathering loose screws, nails etc., so I don't run over them with the plane...

Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Rolleyes
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020