The New England Woodworking Show
For the last several years of the Portland show, I went mostly to get Lee Valley free shipping,   OK I went just to play with Lee Valley tools.

I did get most of my LV stuff at the shows, but the last several shows, LV  & Peachtree, were the only booths that I spend any time at all in.

Which is to bad, when I first got into woodworking,  the shows were really a good time.

Bob
Well, you know how we are out here in the West. Cowboys, Indians and Whores. That's about it.     MontainWood 1 / 28 / 14
I looked forward to the annual woodworking shows when I first got into woodworking.  I got to see all the new equipment, and maybe even pick up a few things.

It helped that my parents lived in the KC area, and I could always combine a trip to see them with the annual show.

As time went on, the show began to decline, the cost to attend went up, and my parents were no longer in the area.  Twenty years of gradually building out my shop has my list of needs whittled way down, and quite honestly, there's not much in the way of new gear that will motivate me to spend the money to get it.  Stuff that I need can be ordered on line and delivered to the house with free shipping, most times.

Something happened to me a couple of years ago that's indicative of my attitude toward new gear.  I went into the Woodsmith Store over in Des Moines as the family and I were over that way.  I was thinking we'd spend an hour in the store browsing.  After 20 minutes, I was ready to leave.  I simply didn't care to browse new stuff.  I realized later that I'm pretty happy with the current shop, and any improvements in the shop are going to come from my effort to turn efficiency ideas into reality.

It's now very simple:  I am no longer motivated to drive 350 miles round trip to go to the show.  I'd rather spend the day in the shop or on the acreage.
I think the cost of admission is still a bargain. It’s basically the same cost of a movie and typically I only see movies that the wife or kids pick out. I’ll gladly pay the same to browse tools, play with LV gear, and watch live seminars. Talking WW with the other patrons and vendors is enjoyable as well. The show is in KC this weekend and unfortunately I will probably be working. It’s a great reason to rally with woodworking friends if nothing else.

I've gone the last 3 years running and i'd have to say for $14 bucks, I think it's a great deal plus the wife never wants to go so I can talk tools and woodworking all weekend to my hearts content. I enjoy talking with LV, the smaller vendors and the vintage tool guys as well as all the demonstrators. Plus it gives me a chance to catch up with some of the other makers and spend more money than I always plan to
Wink