Stupid question on hinges
I've built a box in the past with a top that overhangs the box and I did exposed hinges.  On this box I want to try to conceal the hinge as much as possible.  My local hardware stores don't have anything that I think would work.

So I'll ask the stupid question...what kind of hinge would you recommend?  The box sides are 9/16" thick and the top tapers from 1/2"  on the edge to 5/8".  The overhang on the lid is 9/16" all the way around.  I looked at barrel hinges for jewelry boxes but I'm not sure with those because I've never seen one let alone installed one.
Rolleyes

Box hinges will work, butou’ll want to mortise the hinges in, which is not terribly difficult to do but requires careful work and sharp tools.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(01-13-2019, 03:32 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Box hinges will work, butou’ll want to mortise the hinges in, which is not terribly difficult to do but requires careful work and sharp tools.

Do you mean something like this?

I don't think this looks right but in order for the top to sit flush with the box I had to mortise for the thickness of the hinge.

Thanks goodness for scrap pieces of wood.
Big Grin
That should work. Saves chopping up the lid.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Duane -

I've used hinges like this -

[Image: detail.jpg?c=1480835140]

but you need to bevel the edges to get clearance for the hinge to open.  They are easy to install, just drill opposing holes of the right diameter and glue the hinges in.

The SOSS hinges are similar, but don't require the bevels for clearance.  Lee Valley carries them -

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.as...1241,41265

and has instructions on that page for their installation.  They are completely concealed after they're installed.

Phil
(01-14-2019, 07:33 PM)Phil S. Wrote: Duane -

I've used hinges like this -

[Image: detail.jpg?c=1480835140]

but you need to bevel the edges to get clearance for the hinge to open.  They are easy to install, just drill opposing holes of the right diameter and glue the hinges in.

The SOSS hinges are similar, but don't require the bevels for clearance.  Lee Valley carries them -

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.as...1241,41265

and has instructions on that page for their installation.  They are completely concealed after they're installed.

Phil

Thank you for the help.  I ended up going with the SOSS hinges and they worked perfectly.  I have some tweaking to do after finishing but they worked like a charm. 
Smile

Excellent!  Glad that worked for you.  Love to see a picture of the final product when you're done.

Phil

Cool
Cool  .................
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-17-2019, 04:46 PM)Phil S. Wrote: Excellent!  Glad that worked for you.  Love to see a picture of the final product when you're done.

Phil

I will definitely post pictures when it's completed.  Trying to figure out what kind of finish to put on it...I have some testing to do.  Again, thanks for taking the time on a simple question but I learned a lot during the process and why I enjoy wood working.
Smile

Side note....it took me an hour to start drilling the holes after laying everything out.  I kept doubting myself and was reminded of how many other projects I messed up when it was 95% completed.
Big Grin