Drafting Software
Hi woodnet members. I just upgraded to windows 10 from windows xp and I was using Auto Sketch and recommended this program to many people. Auto Sketch wont work with this operating system Windows 10 and I cant afford to pay Autodesk 500.00 dollars a year for a hobby of trying to design and draft my things. Can someone recommend a free or low cost drafting software and is Sketchup free. Thanks for all the help.
Professional at making sawdust!!!!
(01-13-2019, 06:25 PM)mickanick1 Wrote: ...and is Sketchup free. Thanks for all the help.

SketchUp is available for free for non-commercial use. You can use the browser based SketchUp Free or desktop client, SketchUp 2071 Make (or both).

If you go with SketchUp Make, be sure you install it correctly. After downloading the installer, find it in the Downloads folder, right click on it and choose Run as administrator from the context menu.
(01-13-2019, 06:28 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: SketchUp is available for free for non-commercial use. You can use the browser based SketchUp Free or desktop client, SketchUp 2071 Make (or both).

If you go with SketchUp Make, be sure you install it correctly. After downloading the installer, find it in the Downloads folder, right click on it and choose Run as administrator from the context menu.

Thanks for your help DaveR1, I will give it a try on Tuesday.
Professional at making sawdust!!!!
Draftsight by makers of Solid Works. -free as long as you reregister it according to their schedule.
We work to become, not to acquire.
Draftsight is a good option if you want to limit yourself to 2D drawing capability.
solidworks has a free edition for makers.  It's basically the student version.  Comes with CAM
(01-13-2019, 06:25 PM)mickanick1 Wrote: Hi woodnet members. I just upgraded to windows 10 from windows xp and I was using Auto Sketch and recommended this program to many people. Auto Sketch wont work with this operating system Windows 10 and I cant afford to pay Autodesk 500.00 dollars a year for a hobby of trying to design and draft my things. Can someone recommend a free or low cost drafting software and is Sketchup free. Thanks for all the help.

Will that run in compatability mode?
(01-13-2019, 06:25 PM)mickanick1 Wrote: Hi woodnet members. I just upgraded to windows 10 from windows xp and I was using Auto Sketch and recommended this program to many people. Auto Sketch wont work with this operating system Windows 10 and I cant afford to pay Autodesk 500.00 dollars a year for a hobby of trying to design and draft my things. Can someone recommend a free or low cost drafting software and is Sketchup free. Thanks for all the help.

Fusion 360 while primarily for 3d work is free, not $500

https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusio...-hobbyists

There are some conditions, mostly that you are generating less than $100K/yr income with the product and I believe you have to re-qualify every year.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
You sure AutoSketch won't run?  I'm pretty sure I've run it on Win10.
LibreCad is also pretty good for 2d.