piano hinge on solid wood panels.. movement concerns?
(01-14-2019, 10:57 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: My concern would be that the two pieces of wood won't expand/contract in sync (even if cut from one continuous piece).

I'd still find another way to do it.

Thanks for all the comments!

I'm going to make everything frame and panel, that way the hinges are on the solid wood frames and the panel itself can float. makes more sense and will actually be a prettier look
I’m concerned from a seamstress POV. I’ve never seen a piano hinge that couldn’t snag a delicate fabric. There’s a reason why sewing machine hinges are used on sewing nachine cabinets.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(01-14-2019, 01:47 PM)MsNomer Wrote: I’m concerned from a seamstress POV.  I’ve never seen a piano hinge that couldn’t snag a delicate fabric.  There’s a reason why sewing machine hinges are used on sewing nachine cabinets.

Good point.. I had planned to mortise them in so they'd be flush and hidden when closed..  I'm still open to options for the hinges as well.. anything that will allow two pieces to open 180* to each other and then close flush to each other.  I just googled "sewing machine hinge" and they certainly look like an ever better option!

Ultimately the crux of the question is the same - about hinging two solid wood panels in a way that won't get in the way of movement.
(01-14-2019, 10:12 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: How? The butt hinges would be no more than 1-1/2 or 2 in. wide with maybe 1-3/4 between screws. The wood isn't going to move that much between those screws and the hinges won't be connected to each other so the panels can expand and contract as they want without any problem.
[Image: 45825222275_65b856a3e9_m.jpg]

I'd go with this.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Sewing machine hinges are quite sturdy. Two will do the job with no expansion issues. I only found them in bright brass, but some ez-off oven cleaner will give them a beautiful dark patina.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(01-14-2019, 03:08 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I'd go with this.

Depends if the section is going to fold down or up.  Sewing machine hinges are self supporting but fold up, regular hinges would need a support to hold it up but fold down.   Regular sewing machine cabinets have the machine fold down in the table and the flaps fold to to form a desk. Roly
My mom had a Singer cabinet sewing machine that's older than I am.  Like this one -

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQduFancX96Sb8zHXXUJAn...0nFd1ijL5w]

The folding leaf is held on with two hinges which have been in place for more than 70 years without a problem.  It is veneered so I don't know what the core is.  Original hinges are easy to find on the internet and Rockler has their version if you'd prefer new ones.

Phil
According to a wood movement chart I found on line, worst case, your 24" panels might move +- 1/8" cross grain. If the wood is properly finished both sides and the finished piece is stored/used in a typical home environment, I think the actual movement will be far less. Also, if the oak is quarter sawn, movement will be less. In my opinion, I think that with two hinges the chances of any harm is very remote. If the wood does move, it will either push the two hinges farther apart or pull them closer without harm. I doubt that there would be significant differential movement of the two hinged pieces. Gluing them up using the same lumber will eliminate this issue as well.

If you want to eliminate this as a potential problem, make your panels out of veneered plywood.

As mentioned above, frame and panel construction will also negate the potential problem. However, be aware that your floating panel will have to have room to expand/contract. So, you will need to leave a 1/16" gap between the frame and panel all around. This, of course will always be visible and will be subject to catching dust, pins, or whatever.