Split top saw benches
(01-15-2019, 05:41 PM)stillgotten Wrote: I think I need to make one of these, just not as good looking.
I have the splayed leg type and it's okay but I've always struggled rip sawing without leg interference.

I always wondered if CS acolytes were holding back criticism on this "splay-leg" point. 

Regarding the parallel beams saw bench I posted earlier, I know nothing about it. It sorta' "looks sturdy". I think I would expand one of the beams to 2x8s. But it's likely I would never use it for hand ripping wood anyway. That's what tailed saws do better for me.
(01-15-2019, 10:26 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I always wondered if CS acolytes were holding back criticism on this "splay-leg" point. 

Regarding the parallel beams saw bench I posted earlier, I know nothing about it. It sorta' "looks sturdy". I think I would expand one of the beams to 2x8s. But it's likely I would never use it for hand ripping wood anyway. That's what tailed saws do better for me.

The more I use the splay leg CS version the less I like it.  I think the longer Roman or whatever style benches from ingenious mechanics will work better just having a longer section in between the legs.  I do like to use it as a stool.
(01-15-2019, 10:26 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I always wondered if CS acolytes were holding back criticism on this "splay-leg" point. 

Holding back? There's no mystery as to the trade-off involved here.

I used the splayed-leg saw benches for three years. I passed them along to my dad when I started ripping some wood by hand (for exercise and skill-building). My split-top saw bench has a two inch gap with a filler at one end for strength.

Having bought those rip saws (4 ppi - 9 ppi) I needed to put them to use.
Seen on owllegend.com:

Chris