New Project GNU
Getting ready to start a long term project to turn a Ruger #3 into custom rifle. I found the semi-inletted stock set online and it arrived today. Also should have a checkering set on the way thanks to a fellow Woodnet member. 

I am considering having the rifle rebarreled. It is currently 223, but I really don't like the barrel taper and want something a bit bigger. Right now, its a toss up between 257 Roberts or a 280AI. I have already contacted a few barrel makers and have some ideas on that. This one does shoot 65gr. 223 handloads pretty good, so it is a tough decision to rebarrel.  I am keeping my eyes open for another beater Ruger#1 or #3 to use instead of this one but prices for even beaters are not cheap. 

This will consist of fitting the wood to metal, doing the final shaping, sanding finishing and checkering. The butt stock should not be too hard, but the forearm will require a lot of material removal to get the shape I want.  I will also add on an ebony forearm tip (need to find a piece big enough). 

For the checkering, I will have to practice on scraps of walnut that I have. Larry Potterfield (MidwayUSA) has some pretty good you-tube videos on gun stock building finishing and checkering, and I have watched most of them multiple time. 

With mineral spirits to show the grain. 

In the early 80's I lusted over a Model 3, in .45-70. SWMBO bought me a Model 1 instead. Love that gnu. Still have it, and it is in better than excellent condition.

Please post this project as you proceed!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
That looks like it's going to be a dandy!  It seems that wildcat calibers don't scare you off.  Did you give any consideration to the 257 AI?  I'd love to have that in a 1936 Mexican Mauser.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Phil
(01-14-2019, 09:26 PM)Phil S. Wrote: That looks like it's going to be a dandy!  It seems that wildcat calibers don't scare you off.  Did you give any consideration to the 257 AI?  I'd love to have that in a 1936 Mexican Mauser.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Phil

I have an older Ruger M77 (tang safety) in 257 Roberts so I already have reloading components. I don't cherish the thought of fireforming a bunch of brass, but thats a thought.
Very cool. I am impressed that you're taking this on. Making a wooden rifle stock is a bucket list project for myself as well.
I've always marveled at the craftsmanship that goes into custom gun stocks. When I lived in St. Louis, there was a Cabelas that had a gun vault with custom rifles and pistols - many with custom carved gun stocks and engraving on the metal. Those generally were not inexpensive rifles! I wish you well and hope it turns out to your satisfaction.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Rounding up some tools and making a few. I will need a checkering cradle, so I made one from a piece of scrap cherry. It was a 2x2 that did not make the cut for a table leg due to some bark incursion. Works out nicely for the cradle. A fellow Woodnetter hooked me up with a basic checkering set, and I found a barrel channel scraper at a local antique store.  

I also need a butt gauge and after seeing what they looked like, decided to make my own with a piece of 5/8 x 5/8 aluminum stock. Drill some holes, tap, add thumb screw and a hex key with a point ground in. Made another one while I was at it.

I have a long ways to go before I start checkering, but I have been playing around with some scrap walnut and starting to get the hang of the tools. I have a piece of walnut that I am filling the grain and putting an oil finish on so I have a piece of finished wood to practice checkering. The stock will not get checkered until it is completely finished.
Started to inlet the stock to the receiver. Went back and forth with a candle and a dry erase marker. I am going to get a better candle as that seems to work the best, but the candle I was using was a tiny tea candle. 

Initial fitting shows gaps. This is tedious work taking small slivers. 

The closer you get, the better the marks start showing up indicating material that still needs removed.  

I went ahead and dissembled the action which on a Ruger #1/3 is not hard. It is the assembly that is very tricky. This is as far as I got tonight. Figured that I would stop while I was ahead and resharpen all chisels so they will be ready for the next session. Very close and now is where I really need to slow down. 

I have a savage model 99 and one of the early models to.  I lone it out many years ago while in Montana and he fell and taken a chip out of the left side back bottom of the stock.

I have a VERY Very nice piece of Crotch Black Walnut with figure going 29" long and all of 3" thick which would be fantastic on this rifle.

I will be asking questions from you when I get to it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.