New Project GNU
Made a little more progress. I am doing this little by little and doing other small projects to use up scraps and to slow me down with this.  The butt stock is fitted, now I am trimming it down and getting the shape I want. Small apron plan and block plane really come in handy for removing material while keeping straight lines. The changing grain can be a bit tricky though. That 5/8" inchannel gouge was instrumental in removing material along the sweeping lines coming back from the receiver to the grip. 

I was faced with an issue of a poorly cut hole on the forearm. There is a sort of bushing that is threaded to guide and retain the screw that holds on the forearm. It goes in at an angle. I started off using a 1/4" inchannel gouge to clean it up but the grain direction was making it difficult. Racking my brain, I realized that I had a brad point drill bit the proper size, but I only needed to remove a very little material and going too far would be disaster. Chucked that bit in a handcrank and cleaned up perfect.  

Not shown is the forearm is also fitted now. A 5/8" inchannel gouge was a perfect fit for the radius at the bottom rear. I squared up and tapered the forearm down and drew center lines and quarter lines to help guide further shaping. A #5 dii all the work getting it down.
(02-17-2019, 06:37 PM)Scoony Wrote: Made a little more progress.

Nice work.  Iff’n you get good at this, there is some money to be made.  A guy I know customizes stocks and gnus and has gotten as much as $80K for a complete restoration on a rare piece, mostly side-by-side English rifles.
Making a little more progress on the stock. I am finished with inletting and shaping and now sanding it. Got to watch sanding techniques with this to keep surfaces flat. I started with 80 grit, and worked through 120, and currently at the 150 grit stage. The area right behind the grip cap is really tricky to get to. I am keeping the metal grip cap on to prevent rounding over the edge there. I should be able to polish it up and reblue it once I am finished with sanding. I also started on shaping the forearm, and still have a ways to go on that. I had to turn down a large dowel to fit the barrel channel and screw it in place as a means to hold the forearm in a vice as I work on it. I am using a spoke shave and rasps to do most of the stock removal.

Looking good!
(03-07-2019, 08:06 AM)Lucky Irish Wrote: Looking good!

Looking great!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have been thinking about this since I made the my first post here.

To keep all the lines right and going straight I was thinking of a French curve and straight edge with a sharp knife to make the lines would help??

My wife brought over a piece of black walnut and the above tools I talked about with a V tool (I know the tools are not the same but concept is) did the above and it was easy for me to follow the lines with the V tool and no drifting.

Just something you can try on scrap buddy.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.