Blotch prevention?
We like what we like, I guess... and you're right.  If the OP hates it, then he hates it.

I've found it amusing over the years that people will slam furniture manufacturers for staining/toning something else (poplar/alder) to make it 'look like' cherry... and then go out of their way to 'fix' a natural characteristic when they use real cherry themselves.
(01-20-2019, 04:56 PM)KC Wrote: We like what we like, I guess... and you're right.  If the OP hates it, then he hates it.

I've found it amusing over the years that people will slam furniture manufacturers for staining/toning something else (poplar/alder) to make it 'look like' cherry... and then go out of their way to 'fix' a natural characteristic when they use real cherry themselves.

Yep, we like what we like.  I hate blotch, and knots in most things, but I love cherry, so you won't be surprised to learn that I do everything I can to eliminate those "defects" when I use cherry.  

As for making something look like cherry, I understand why manufacturers do it.  People want the look of cherry but don't want to pay for real cherry.  Manufacturers satisfy that market segment by offering lower cost alternatives.  Seems to work.  Even real cherry rarely looks like it from the mass production companies.  They "unify" the color so much that the natural cherry color and all its variation is lost.  But again, they are just responding to what the masses want.  If you want real cherry you have to go to a small company or build it yourself.  

John
(01-20-2019, 05:18 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Yep, we like what we like.  I hate blotch, and knots in most things, but I love cherry, so you won't be surprised to learn that I do everything I can to eliminate those "defects" when I use cherry.  

As for making something look like cherry, I understand why manufacturers do it.  People want the look of cherry but don't want to pay for real cherry.  Manufacturers satisfy that market segment by offering lower cost alternatives.  Seems to work.  Even real cherry rarely looks like it from the mass production companies.  They "unify" the color so much that the natural cherry color and all its variation is lost.  But again, they are just responding to what the masses want.  If you want real cherry you have to go to a small company or build it yourself.  

John

That's because the masses don't know what cherry really looks like.  
Yes  They've never known anything else.