Right angle drills
My birthday is coming up, and my family was asking me about gift ideas. One I had is a right angle drill. For one thing, would a 12V work, or should I use an 18V? Any corded ones that you've had good experience with? I'm looking for something for less than $150...I know the Milwaukee 12V 2415-21 has mostly good reviews, but a few have said that the clutch doesn't do its job at regulating the torque very well. Anybody experience different with that one? I don't need anything extravagant, just something that will work well for working in those tight corners in a furniture-making context.

I'll check out every model you guys throw at me, though I'd prefer to stay away from most off brand stuff (like you'd find at Harbor Freight). Sorry if that sounds close minded, but I just don't trust those tools for the most part. Anything else from other brands would be great, though, as long as it's not over $150.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(01-14-2019, 11:05 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: My birthday is coming up, and my family was asking me about gift ideas. One I had is a right angle drill. For one thing, would a 12V work, or should I use an 18V? Any corded ones that you've had good experience with? I'm looking for something for less than $150...I know the Milwaukee 12V 2415-21 has mostly good reviews, but a few have said that the clutch doesn't do its job at regulating the torque very well. Anybody experience different with that one? I don't need anything extravagant, just something that will work well for working in those tight corners in a furniture-making context.

I'll check out every model you guys throw at me, though I'd prefer to stay away from most off brand stuff (like you'd find at Harbor Freight). Sorry if that sounds close minded, but I just don't trust those tools for the most part. Anything else from other brands would be great, though, as long as it's not over $150.

Have a M-12. Don't use it often but have never had an issue.

Have a Makita corded for many years, it is a workhorse. Also it is very close coupled, meaning the clearance between the chuck and the body of the drill allows the closest clearance that you will find. And that IS the point of a right angled drill, getting in where nothing else will which is why I would not consider anything else but the Makita.
Ag
(01-14-2019, 11:50 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Have a M-12. Don't use it often but have never had an issue.

Have a Makita corded for many years, it is a workhorse. Also it is very close coupled, meaning the clearance between the chuck and the body of the drill allows the closest clearance that you will find. And that IS the point of a right angled drill, getting in where nothing else will which is why I would not consider anything else but the Makita.
Ag

What's the model # and cost on that Makita...I hope they still make it if it's under $150. 

How's the power on the M-12? I tend to use torx and square drive screws, but I also work with woods sometimes that are harder than anything domestic, so I would need something that wouldn't have the batteries draining too fast or anything.

I did find this one by Makita...a little over my price range but it says it can get up to 245 in-lbs! The Milwaukee only says 100, but I'm not sure if that's the average or max, and the reviewers mostly say it has plenty of power. From the pictures, it looks like the Milwaukee's chuck is a hair closer to the front end, but not by a ton.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
I got the right angled adapter for my regular drills a few years ago.  Works great for the few times I needed it.
WoodNET... the new safespace
(01-15-2019, 01:11 AM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: What's the model # and cost on that Makita...I hope they still make it if it's under $150. 

How's the power on the M-12? I tend to use torx and square drive screws, but I also work with woods sometimes that are harder than anything domestic, so I would need something that wouldn't have the batteries draining too fast or anything.

I did find this one by Makita...a little over my price range but it says it can get up to 245 in-lbs! 

What are you doing that requires a right angle drill so often?

I didn't replace my Dewalt when I upgraded to 20v Lion. If i needed one I'd go to HF and buy the cheapest POS they had.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I had a Dewalt 12 volt that worked great when I needed it which was several times a week for 10 years. I would still have it if someone didn't need it more and walk off the job with it.
What are you going to do with a right angle drill?

IMHO, the only one needed is the Milwaukee Hole Hawg. Used for punching holes through studs in new home construction.

If it's an access issue, I think there are other alternatives. Let me start out by saying I own a DeWalt 18V right angle drill. DeWalt now makes a 20V impact that is no longer than my right angle drill from the front face of the chuck to the rear of the unit. Sure the impact takes the 1/4" hex drive vs. the right angle drill having a true keyless chuck, and that's an advantage to the hex drive in this case. You can get about anything in hex drive these days anyway ( picked up a a stubby, hex drive drill bit set from 1/8" to 3/8" a couple of years ago, just in case, still haven't opened the package).

The right angle adapter would be my next choice. You can say that you don't like adapters, and I don't either, but that's all you really need these days. Screw heads are better, screw tips are better. Therefore you don't need as much "push" when you're driving screws like you once did. Not to mention that square drive and torx will pretty much drive themselves with the weight of the tool.

Still have my right angle drill, but definitely will not be replacing it. Bought it back before cordless impact wrenches came out. Back when the cordless drill was about a foot long front to back.
I also have the M12 and don't use it all that often. When I have needed it though it worked well for what I was doing. Never experienced any issues with the clutch however the times I've used it I never really needed it to perform all that precisely. I really like the fact that it is lightweight and fairly compact.
I was installing cabinets and drug store fixture that a regular drill couldn't get in.  security gates that only had 5 inches to install the piano hinges.
I have a right angle drill attachment.  It works fine and cost little. 

It is similar to this.  Mine allows the angle to be adjusted so it can be anywhere from straight to 90 degrees.  I got it at Home Depot 20 years ago when I had to drill into the joists in my basement.

https://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-1305-D...ttachments
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.