Floor Attic For Storage Question
(01-19-2019, 09:33 PM)GDay Wrote: This is half the garage space, the vertical roof support is pretty much the center. I had to figure out how to post the pictures. I have a video also. I could not add it. The 2x6 running down both sides on top of the joists have room for a 4’ wide deck close to the walls. The storage will be mostly along the walls and the center 8’ wide are for walking about.
Gary

I think I figured out how to post the video. I will include the link below. Laying 2x4s perpendicular at 16” OC and decking would allow me to leave most of the wires in place and clear a pipe.
https://youtu.be/VWP88i-U82s
(01-20-2019, 06:57 AM)J GDay Wrote: I think I figured out how to post the video. I will include the link below. Laying 2x4s perpendicular at 16” OC and decking would allow me to leave most of the wires in place and clear a pipe.
https://youtu.be/VWP88i-U82s

Any joists that are carrying the roof load are doubled 2x12- I think there are 3 of those doubled up.
(01-20-2019, 09:25 AM)GDay Wrote:  Any joists that are carrying the roof load are doubled 2x12- I think there are 3 of those doubled up.

Attached Files Image(s)

After looking at the pics and re-reading your original post I think you'd be fine with cheap OSB sub-floor. It will be hard to manipulate the sheets up there but I don't see any reason for overkill just for storage.

Something you may not have thought of and I can't see it from the pics... Fire rating. Garages need Fire Code drywall between the garage and the house. Was there already an access hatch in the garage ceiling or did you cut that all out? If the garage ceiling is not Fire Code drywall, then there needs to be fire code DW in the attic separating the house from the garage, even in the attic. So it either needs a fire rated ceiling or it needs a fire rated wall in the attic between the two. Most (if not all) builders do both. But if there is a non fire rated access into the garage attic, you must have a fire rated wall between the home and attic attic.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(01-21-2019, 07:01 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: After looking at the pics and re-reading your original post I think you'd be fine with cheap OSB sub-floor. It will be hard to manipulate the sheets up there but I don't see any reason for overkill just for storage.

Something you may not have thought of and I can't see it from the pics... Fire rating. Garages need Fire Code drywall between the garage and the house. Was there already an access hatch in the garage ceiling or did you cut that all out? If the garage ceiling is not Fire Code drywall, then there needs to be fire code DW in the attic separating the house from the garage, even in the attic. So it either needs a fire rated ceiling or it needs a fire rated wall in the attic between the two. Most (if not all) builders do both. But if there is a non fire rated access into the garage attic, you must have a fire rated wall between the home and attic attic.

There was a hatch for an attic stairs already in the ceiling and we have a Refer and freezer under it so I moved it. I have to assume the walls are fire rated. This neighborhood was built by DR Horton in a rural area. It is supposed to conform to all codes. I was present at the very end of construction and they use a third party inspection company. I did see it red tagged on a few minor issues, such as adding a couple of roof vents. It was built in 2015.
I'm sure they are fire rated. Just wanted to make sure you aren't breaching the firewall. If you remove and replace any drywall, just make sure it's stamped "Fire Code" or something to that effect. Anybody who sells drywall will have it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(01-21-2019, 10:39 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I'm sure they are fire rated. Just wanted to make sure you aren't breaching the firewall. If you remove and replace any drywall, just make sure it's stamped "Fire Code" or something to that effect. Anybody who sells drywall will have it.

Thanks!