Electrical question
When adding a receptacle I know enough to turn the breaker off, black goes to black, white to white and both grounds to the green screw.
I added a receptacle to an existing line. I have done this several times when building my shop. When I turned the breaker back on my flashing tester (not vmeter, I'll do that tomorrow) shows power before the new receptacle, after the receptacle, and to all of the power cords to the tools on that line. However, none of the tools will work, they're dead when I turn the switches one at a time.
I will recheck the connections tomorrow, also.
What might be the problem?

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
The fact your non contact volt tester is picking something up suggests a problem on the neutral side, however a (very) bad connection on the hot side could be allowing just enough through to trigger the NCV but not run a load.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(01-16-2019, 08:47 PM)blackhat Wrote: The fact your non contact volt tester is picking something up suggests a problem on the neutral side, however a (very) bad connection on the hot side could be allowing just enough through to trigger the NCV but not run a load.

Thanks, this is what I suspected. I'll redo the connections tomorrow and check with volt meter.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
Blackhat in for the win!!

I thought the connection for the neutral in the receptacle was tight, but I was wrong; it worked loose when I was pushing the wires in the box.
Everything is working now.
Thanks

Rick
MAGA!!
(01-17-2019, 12:25 PM)scpapa Wrote: Blackhat in for the win!!

Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
This is one reason I never use solid wire with side clamps. Solid under a screw, stranded under a clamp.

I’ve tried solid under a clamp and it loosened when moving the receptacle.

Not saying that is what happened here.
(01-17-2019, 02:44 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: This is one reason I never use solid wire with side clamps. Solid under a screw,  stranded under a clamp.

I’ve tried solid under a clamp and it loosened when moving the receptacle.

Not saying that is what happened here.
Exactly what happened! I corrected it by using the screws.

Rick
MAGA!!
(01-17-2019, 12:25 PM)scpapa Wrote: Blackhat in for the win!!

Rick

He's a gem
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS