How can I straighten this?
We have an old wooden medicine cabinet I want to mount inside a wall. The door is warped as you can see in this pic. Any ideas on how I could straighten it out?
Thanks,
Paul
[Image: IMG_5431.jpg]
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
(01-21-2019, 12:48 PM)plharrison Wrote: We have an old wooden medicine cabinet I want to mount inside a wall. The door is warped as you can see in this pic. Any ideas on how I could straighten it out?
Thanks,
Paul
[Image: IMG_5431.jpg]
Have you considered disassembling and reassembling? Not sure if that is feasible...
It likely will be far easier to just build a new one. 

John
(01-21-2019, 01:40 PM)brianwelch Wrote: Have you considered disassembling and reassembling? Not sure if that is feasible...

It was just screwed together so easy to do, I just don't know how that'd solve anything.
Norm
(01-21-2019, 02:47 PM)jteneyck Wrote: It likely will be far easier to just build a new one. 

John

Definitely something easy to make. But it would be too hard to match to the rest of the cabinet because it's very old.
Norm
Hmmm, dunno; maybe steam it and put it in a press of some sort....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-21-2019, 01:40 PM)brianwelch Wrote: Have you considered disassembling and reassembling? Not sure if that is feasible...

Since it is just screwed together, mark each joint so you can go back like it is.  On a flat surface like you have it on, see what needs to be trimmed on each joint to make it lay flat.  If a rail or style itself is twisted  that will be a problem.   Roly
What Roly said. Take it apart and lay out the pieces on a flat surface. If any are warped or twisted, they will need replacing. If the problem is in the joints, as he said, you will need to trim them to fit straight. The latter will likely involve plugging the existing screw holes and re-drilling. Otherwise, the screws will probably pull the joint out of alignment again.
(01-21-2019, 03:11 PM)plharrison Wrote: Definitely something easy to make. But it would be too hard to match to the rest of the cabinet because it's very old.

Might not be all that hard.  Use the same or similar wood.  Dye and/or stain to get close.  Seal it.  Adjust the color if you need to with a gel stain.  Finish.  

John
Already some great suggestions. Myself seeing as its screwed together i might try with it apart to just epoxy each joint and clamp it back together on a flat surface while holding it flat
i think that might be easier than trimming the joints and if that fails you still have a good pattern for the replica.
leave the screws out of it at least till the epoxy drys