The joys of chiseling....
First time I've seen the clamp trick, I'm hitting myself on the forehead for not thinking of it! Thanks!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I love sharp chisels, although they tend to make every project my own by adding a drop or two of blood
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
(01-21-2019, 10:10 PM)mongo Wrote: I love chisels, a sharpn one is such a joy to use,  squaring up some rabbits
Wink off the dado blade....

I love chisels as well. However I believe that there is a better technique than to use than the clamp - assuming that the rebate is to be part of a carcase, that is, will be joined to another side. Removing the waste leaves a small end section, which is end grain and vulnerable to breaking off.

Instead of removing the waste at the end of the rebate (squaring it up), leave it alone. You can remove it after the sides are joined together. This will maintain a thickness and retain strength. Once the sides are together, the end of the rebate will be supported, and the danger of break out is no longer there. 

Here is an example ...

I made stopped rebates but left a long section behind, so ...

[Image: ApothecaryChestWeekendThree_html_m3f4e9fed.jpg]

[Image: ApothecaryChestWeekendThree_html_md0e5641.jpg]

Later, when the sides were joined, the corners needed to be cleaned out ...

[Image: ApothecaryChestShiplappingTheBack_html_m2496cee6.jpg]

The waste is only now chiselled away ...

[Image: ApothecaryChestShiplappingTheBack_html_21946617.jpg]

Once done, the (ship lapped) rear panel could be inserted ...

[Image: ApothecaryChestShiplappingTheBack_html_m6eb6fa60.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
"Instead of removing the waste at the end of the rebate (squaring it up), leave it alone. You can remove it after the sides are joined together. This will maintain a thickness and retain strength. Once the sides are together, the end of the rebate will be supported, and the danger of break out is no longer there."

A valid option as well. I think with poplar which the case being made of I would personally still use a clamp. Even after glue up. Pretty soft compared to what you work with. Or perhaps i am just paranoid.