Photographic Skills: Upping the Game
Re: visual distortion....
I have a tapered-leg TV stand I made in the master bedroom.  Let us call it a "highgameboy".
I have looked at it countless times thinking it was crooked.  But it always checks out square and plumb.
Chris
This deserves a better photo shoot than I can do...
No 

All I have is a Cannon digital....and just normal house lighting

No, this isn't this red, either...

Later today, I'll try to add a coat of varnish....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(01-24-2019, 12:38 PM)bandit571 Wrote: This deserves a better photo shoot than I can do...

Notice how the background of the OP's photo keeps your attention on the work and lets you see details?  A busy background, of a similar color and brightness to your work, makes it more effort to see what you are showing.  If you simply draped a white sheet behind and under your work, it would stand out more.
Ship it to me (Connecticut) and I will take all kinds of photos for you!
Smile

(01-24-2019, 12:38 PM)bandit571 Wrote: This deserves a better photo shoot than I can do...
No 

All I have is a Cannon digital....and just normal house lighting

No, this isn't this red, either...

Later today, I'll try to add a coat of varnish....
(01-24-2019, 11:30 AM)mbholden Wrote: Then in photoshop he removed the background, created a new one to suit, and added shadows as he saw fit.
Quite a lot of modern trickery for 18th century artifacts.
Mike

I know a couple photographers (hobbyists) who would consider that cheating, and they insist on photography skills rather than computer software to do any editing. I try to shoot without using any post-photo help, forcing myself to develop skills in setting up lighting, etc. We are lucky compared to our predecessors who did not have the luxury of shooting hundreds or even thousands of photos just for learning without any recurrent expenses.

Simon
(01-24-2019, 01:24 PM)Alan S Wrote: Notice how the background of the OP's photo keeps your attention on the work and lets you see details?  A busy background, of a similar color and brightness to your work, makes it more effort to see what you are showing.  If you simply draped a white sheet behind and under your work, it would stand out more.

Bandit's desk is nice! In fact, if a cell phone camera could show its beauty, imagine what a professional portrait of it could even do.

That piece is not straightforward to shoot, I say. But as Alan pointed out rightly, clutters distract. Lighting is the most important factor in my experience in deciding how a shot is finally composed. With bad or improper lighting set up, even a Canon EOS 1D Mark III or Leica S2-P won't pull you out of the hole.

Simon
To add lighting or get rid of the shadows use cheap, clip-on lights with screw-in, daylight fluorescent bulbs.
Wood is good. 
(01-24-2019, 01:24 PM)Alan S Wrote: Notice how the background of the OP's photo keeps your attention on the work and lets you see details?  A busy background, of a similar color and brightness to your work, makes it more effort to see what you are showing.  If you simply draped a white sheet behind and under your work, it would stand out more.

Alan, the background is an important issue. The aim is to focus attention on the foreground, and not distract with background. Better focus would help, but the biggest criticism I have of Steven's (bandit) photos is that it is difficult to concentrate on the piece owing the the mess in the background. 

One does not need to resort to a white sheet; just choose the setting carefully, and crop away any unnecessary background. Here is an example of shots (from my recent build) taken against a busy background ...

[Image: 1a.jpg]

[Image: 1-Transport1a.jpg]

Use a blank background where possible, or at least one which reduces background or compliments the piece ...

[Image: 1a.jpg]

Get a close up. Depth of field can either reduce background to aid in focus, or it can cause the piece to be overwhelmed. Here it reduces details in the background ...

[Image: 2a.jpg]

Lastly, choose your angles to present the piece with interest and perspective ...

[Image: 12a.jpg]

(shot with a hand-held Canon DSLR, natural light)

This from my iPhone 6 (which is 5 years old) ...

[Image: 5a.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(01-25-2019, 06:29 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Get a close up. Depth of field can either reduce background to aid in focus, or it can cause the piece to be overwhelmed. Here it reduces details in the background ...
Regards from Perth

Derek

Indeed and I saw that the OP has pulled out the drawer to show some details.

In case anyone does not know, don't get rid of all the shadows. Shadow-less shots can look out of focus. I learned that from an architectural photographer when he critiqued my work.

Does anyone know a book that focuses on furniture or object photography? Most books and magazines cover landscape, portraits etc.
(01-24-2019, 12:34 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: Re: visual distortion....
I have a tapered-leg TV stand I made in the master bedroom.  Let us call it a "highgameboy".
I have looked at it countless times thinking it was crooked.  But it always checks out square and plumb.

Now, you just need a bad shot to make it look right!
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh 

Simon