Question(s) for Those Who Build Furniture for a Living
(02-09-2019, 01:43 PM)workpals Wrote: I think this link contains the answer you seek bro [edited out spammer link]

Spammer for "Ted''s Woodworking" plans catalog........
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-02-2019, 08:21 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Ill throw my .02 in.
PG knows what he's talking about.
Don't know anything about the business side, but I personally would think that hobby woodworking would not longer be any fun if I did it for a business.
(02-11-2019, 08:09 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Don't know anything about the business side, but I personally would think that hobby woodworking would not longer be any fun if I did it for a business.

'Zactly.
(01-23-2019, 07:22 PM)Don_M Wrote: I retired from my full time job a few years ago and so now with some spare time on my hands – I have been approached by several “acquaintances” to build them furniture. So I have a few questions for those of you that do this for a living. Rather than just giving me the general pros and cons (which of course you are free to do) I will throw out some specific questions:

1. Do you charge anything for the initial design process? (i.e., initial consultation, sketching up plans, material take-offs and pricing, etc.)
2. Deposits. Yes/No and if Yes; how much
3. Final payment. Prior to delivery; upon delivery?
4. Warranty from Defects? The extent to which you offer this and for up to how long?

Thanks in advance

Since I do most of my furniture making for family and close friends,  my fee is a case of beer up front, cost of materials, and a case of beer on the back end.  I do it for the pleasure of creating something and as a way to increase my woodworking skills.
Save the whales! Collect the whole set.