A Safe Simple Device For Portable Generator
Not sure this pick will post from photobucket or not. The box to the left of the meter is the transfer switch. The reason it's so big is to allow for the wire to bend. #4 if I remember correctly. When on utility power, current simply bypasses the switch and on to the main service panel in the basement. When on generator power, current flows through a break-before-make switch and a 100 amp (iirc) breaker and on to the main service panel.

While not nearly as easy to install as the device linked above, the cost was about half, including the wire and female plug I installed at the bottom of the transfer switch. I just fired up the generator, plugged it in to the transfer switch and then opened the transfer switch door and flipped the switch. The hardest part of the install was moving the main service conductor from the meter to the transfer switch. I made that connection and then mounted the transfer switch. I didn't have to disconnect the main service conductor inside the main service panel, only disconnected it inside the meter box. But did need to cut a new hole in the house sheathing/siding to move it. Then I ran individual wires from the meter box, through conduit to the new transfer switch.

Prior to that switch, we had a multi breaker/circuit transfer switch in the house next to the main panel and a female outlet on the outside of the house. Installing that unit was actually more work, more expensive and limited our usage of circuits during an outage. Not sure why that type is still so popular. You still have to go outside, fire up the Gen and plug it in. The new one fed the entire service panel.

There were 4 empty breaker slots in the transfer switch and eventually I installed lighting from the panel which was a big help when refueling at night.

[Image: transferswitch006_zps1974d753.jpg][Image: transferswitch006_zps61d9d9d7.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(01-24-2019, 10:46 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I have a lockout in my main panel.  I can have the main on, or the 50A generator breaker on, but not both.  they were both much cheaper than that device, but I appreciate the simplicity of that.

If I had it to do again, that's what I'd use on my SD QO 200A panel (very common design), but when I installed my generator panel many moons ago, they weren't on the market.  Or at least, I wasn't aware of them.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(01-24-2019, 11:42 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Not sure this pick will post from photobucket or not. The box to the left of the meter is the transfer switch. The reason it's so big is to allow for the wire to bend. #4 if I remember correctly. When on utility power, current simply bypasses the switch and on to the main service panel in the basement. When on generator power, current flows through a break-before-make switch and a 100 amp (iirc) breaker and on to the main service panel.

While not nearly as easy to install as the device linked above, the cost was about half, including the wire and female plug I installed at the bottom of the transfer switch. I just fired up the generator, plugged it in to the transfer switch and then opened the transfer switch door and flipped the switch. The hardest part of the install was moving the main service conductor from the meter to the transfer switch. I made that connection and then mounted the transfer switch. I didn't have to disconnect the main service conductor inside the main service panel, only disconnected it inside the meter box. But did need to cut a new hole in the house sheathing/siding to move it. Then I ran individual wires from the meter box, through conduit to the new transfer switch.

Prior to that switch, we had a multi breaker/circuit transfer switch in the house next to the main panel and a female outlet on the outside of the house. Installing that unit was actually more work, more expensive and limited our usage of circuits during an outage. Not sure why that type is still so popular. You still have to go outside, fire up the Gen and plug it in. The new one fed the entire service panel.

There were 4 empty breaker slots in the transfer switch and eventually I installed lighting from the panel which was a big help when refueling at night.

[Image: transferswitch006_zps1974d753.jpg][Image: transferswitch006_zps61d9d9d7.jpg]
That is exactly what I have now. It is great except for being manual.
Gary
(01-24-2019, 11:14 AM)GDay Wrote: I hope udo a thread onit I have plans for the same install in my future. I need the tank and everything. I am tired of going out in the dark and connecting the generator. We lose power on a regular basis here.
Gary

For what its worth, after hurricane Sandy hit NJ, I went with a whole house Kohler 20k with a load manager; the rest of the neighborhood went with Generac, one of the neighbor's kids was a salesman for them and they did a group buy.  After an outage I see a lot of service calls for the Generac units.  Mine keeps humming along.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(01-24-2019, 11:53 AM)GDay Wrote: That is exactly what I have now. It is great except for being manual.
Gary

Oh. I didn't notice it was an automatic switch.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Meter socket is crooked 
Rolleyes

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(01-24-2019, 04:51 PM)Foggy Wrote: Meter socket is crooked 
Rolleyes
The reason it is crooked is the underground sank and is pulling it down. First look to see if the wires are pulled tight against something or broke the line side lugs if it is direct burial .
Also this is where you look for a mounting screw pulled out and just hanging where it will fall and short out when you pull the meter.   You will be burnt unless you have proper protection.
Remember the only overcurrent protection at this point is to protect the transformer.   Roly
(01-24-2019, 05:02 PM)Roly Wrote: The reason it is crooked is the underground sank and is pulling it down.  First look to see if the wires are pulled tight against something or broke the line side lugs if it is direct burial .
Also this is where you look for a mounting screw pulled out and just hanging where it will fall and short out when you pull the meter.   You will be burnt unless you have proper protection.
Remember the only overcurrent protection at this point is to protect the transformer.   Roly

Yup. I have seen/worked with a few like that. Scary

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.