Single Flute Router Bits
Question 
I got a Freud 3/8 straight bit and when I got it unpackaged I realized it was a single flute. Never used one. Never even seen one. Really did not know such existed. I thought two flutes was the minimum.

So I tried it and it performed very well milling some slots for Dutchman repairs.

So now I am wondering the what's and why's of a single flute.
What are they intended to do verses two flutes?
Ag
Cut quicker and easier. I would rather have single.
2 flute isn't any smoother from my experiences. Maybe a little less chance of tear out.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have a couple, but they are the smaller sizes...1/4". A few months back Brian (Holbren) got hold of a special buy on some form Whiteside, they were 1/2" cutter with a flush trim bearing. Somewhere in the thread I recall someone saying these bits were made for cutting aluminum.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Heat is the main killer for high speed tool edges. This is why a machinist looks at the color of the chips coming off his tooling to gauge if the surface speed is too fast or slow. A single edge bit has more room to clear the chips and debris that can retain the heat. this means the bit can run cooler if it is not pushed beyond its limits such as taking too much material at a bite.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Thanks folks!
Ag