Sharpening Stones
(01-26-2019, 08:13 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ........................
...and you can also buy Boron Carbide powder on ebay...Same as they used to make abrasive wheels.. I bought an ounce of it and it's almost as good as diamond but not available in all the grit sizes. Mine is a little too coarse.

Boron Nitride maybe?

To the OP:
Good advice along the way here.  If you want to stick with combo stones, get the 220/1000 and 4000/8000.  In your original choices, the 3000 and 4000 grits are essentially redundant.  You can get by perfectly with a 1000/4000 and a strop with the 0.5 micron green compound (or diamond paste as previously noted).  I had a couple of combo stones when I first started and the problem I experienced with them is you get uneven wear on the stones.  Your 1000 grit side will wear quicker than your 4000 side and then you're left needing a replacement 1000 grit stone.  Combos are an inexpensive way to start, but realize you're really getting half a stone of each grit.  I'm in the camp of a dedicated single-grit stone of each grit you need.  I reserve my strop for maintaining an edge.  I don't use a strop to achieve my initial edge.  I stop at 8000 grit.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(01-26-2019, 09:45 PM)AHill Wrote: Boron Nitride maybe?

To the OP:
Good advice along the way here.  If you want to stick with combo stones, get the 220/1000 and 4000/8000.  In your original choices, the 3000 and 4000 grits are essentially redundant.  You can get by perfectly with a 1000/4000 and a strop with the 0.5 micron green compound (or diamond paste as previously noted).  I had a couple of combo stones when I first started and the problem I experienced with them is you get uneven wear on the stones.  Your 1000 grit side will wear quicker than your 4000 side and then you're left needing a replacement 1000 grit stone.  Combos are an inexpensive way to start, but realize you're really getting half a stone of each grit.  I'm in the camp of a dedicated single-grit stone of each grit you need.  I reserve my strop for maintaining an edge.  I don't use a strop to achieve my initial edge.  I stop at 8000 grit.
Yep...Boron Nitride..
Crazy
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Its a matter of personal preference.

I don't think 4000 is enough.  I go to 8K and I also have a 12K for certain applications. 

The 4000/8000 combination Norton is a good stone for the money.

Touching up, I usually jump from a 1250 diamond to the 8K water stone.

You also need lower grits (300, 600, 800 e.g.) too to fix damage or when you've gone too far.
(01-24-2019, 04:46 PM)Jack01 Wrote: I am planning to buy some sharpening stones and see various choices  

1000- 4000  combination

3000-6000 combination.

I will be sharpening chisels and hand plane blades  , do I need both combination?

Thank you for all the information.

I will be doing touch up on the chisel and plane blades.
I have a Jet Wet grinder so I do most of the sharpening on that. 
But when I need touch up it is more work to set up the wet grinder for couple of minute of work

I have decided to go with following set up just for touch up.

1   Water Stone  3000-6000 combination
1   Leather Strop
1   Simple Honing jig

Hope this will work