making a leather holster for my block plane-
(01-29-2019, 05:02 PM)FireWood Wrote: Wow, great site.  That one is going to cost me!  
Crazy

Years ago, way back in the fifties and sixties I was a little bit into leather work..and what was generally used on leather that was not going to be polished, was Neatsfoot Oil..I can testify that it is a great leather preservative because I still have my Marine Kabar and leather scabbard that I wore every day all through the Korean War...it's hanging on my wall and still in great shape after more than sixty-five years...nothing is better for a leather preservative that I know of and it is still available at a very attractive price from Lowes, Amazon etc.

https://www.doversaddlery.com/fiebings-n...gIwfvD_BwE
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Getting to this late, because we were away.  Nice project.

The makers of tool belts used to - may still, I don't know - offer a block plane holster as a standard item, and it was a sign of a sophisticated trim carpenter to see one on the belt.
We used neatsfoot oil to condition our baseball gloves.
Smells good too. Memories of childhood.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(01-31-2019, 05:24 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: We used neatsfoot oil to condition our baseball gloves.
Smells good too. Memories of childhood.

What the heck is a "NEAT" and how do they get the oil out of it's foot??????? Inquiring minds want to know......
Crazy
Big Grin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Need to bend a length of metal rod....so the holster will hang from a web belt.....hmmmm, wonder what could be fitted into old magazine pouches?    Like the ones for the M1911's mags.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Timberwolf wrote:

What the heck is a "NEAT" and how do they get the oil out of it's foot??????? Inquiring minds want to know...... 

Rendered fat from cattle legs and feet. Not hooves. Neat is from an Old English word for cows.

The things we learn on WoodNet!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(02-01-2019, 11:59 AM)MarkSingleton Wrote: Timberwolf wrote:

Rendered fat from cattle legs and feet. Not hooves. Neat is from an Old English word for cows.

The things we learn on WoodNet!!

Cool
Cool
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

I'm glad to see that leather-sewing is a do-able craft!   I struggle with it...
I just decided to upgrade my car's steering wheel, on the first warm break after the Polar Vortex freeze.  This is a Wheelskins USA cover, an approximate fit given my wheel's fat spokes and lumpy spots.  It's now sewed on and it will "break in"... a huge improvement in comfort compared to the factory plastic.

Chris
Chris
Have to try some neats foot as well(always wondered what it came from, now I know).  A few more things to make so as I get to them I will bring everyone along for the ride.  Be a week or so my wife would really like me to get a cabinet finished.  Sadly not retired so it takes longer.
We buy and use neats foot oil. A gallon will last a long time.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020