sharpening a router bit
Hello all,

I have been using a pattern router bit by Whiteside a lot in the last few days.  I've been routing Lignum Vitae which reeks havoc on sharp edges.

So I'll need to sharpen this bit very soon.  However this will be the first time that I am attempting to sharpen something like this.

Any advice or tips?

Are there services out there to sharpen bits for a reasonable price?
Peter

My "day job"
Sharpening shops that are equipped to do that can do a pattern bit about one time.

You can get a small flat diamond hone and touch up yourself.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I use a local business for sharpening saw blades and router bits.  They charge me about $6 per router bit and I'm happy with the result.

I know that each sharpening will result in a bit that is just a bit smaller in dimension, though it hasn't been very much to this point for me.

Touch up with a diamond hone is a good thing to do; you might be able to postpone a sharpening by keeping it honed and clean.
Not all places sharpen router bits, and as mentioned above it doesn't always work out well for pattern bits. Fluted bits loose a small amount in OD when sharpened and then it isn't "flush trim" anymore. It can still be used (probably) but you need to allow for the small difference. If you have a hack sharpen it, it will be toast (for pattern routing). There are a couple of mail in places I use that do a good job, but for one bit you would be paying postage both ways in addition to the sharpening charge.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
In case it isn't already understood, when you hone it yourself, always hone just the face of the blade (equivalent to the back of a chisel). Trying to hone the bevel will tend to change the shape of the cut and reduce the diameter of the bit. Honing the face will change the diameter very very little.
(01-26-2019, 09:40 AM)Willyou Wrote: In case it isn't already understood, when you hone it yourself, always hone just the face of the blade (equivalent to the back of a chisel). Trying to hone the bevel will tend to change the shape of the cut and reduce the diameter of the bit. Honing the face will change the diameter very very little.

Thanks for that clarification.

I thought that that was the correct way but I really appreciate your confirming it.
Peter

My "day job"
Fred is right.  Pattern bits are a problem to resharpen. No way I'd try to do it by hand.

Their are places that can do it. I recommend getting in touch with Whiteside or Holbren to see who they recommend.

The cost might be such you will just buy a new set.
Problem is the bearings will probably not line up with the cutter edge anymore.  Many sharpening shops take too much material off which doesn't help.
I use the side of a diamond wheel. Hasn't failed me yet, but maybe you wouldn't be comfortable doing it by hand.
(01-25-2019, 05:10 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Sharpening shops that are equipped to do that can do a pattern bit about one time.

You can get a small flat diamond hone and touch up yourself.

Peter

Like Steve said use diamond hones to get them good again.  I do it all the time and after every or every other use to keep them sharp.  I use a round, flat and some smaller ones.

Here are a few links to the ones I have but I also have the Trend sharpening fluid to help keep it cutting better and longer since dry filing makes them go bad sooner.

https://www.amazon.com/DMT-FSKF-Diafold-...sharpening

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Sharpenin...sharpening

https://www.amazon.com/SE-744DF-R-Diamon...sharpening

https://www.amazon.com/Trend-DWS-LF-100-...luid&psc=1

Take you time on each one and never sharpen the outside.  The round file is for a lot of bits like forstner bits.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.