Sharpening vs Buying New Knives
Thanks for all the responses. One issue I didn't think to bring up is to ask how many sharpenings you can expect to get out of a set of knives? I can't honestly remember how many times I've had each particular set sharpened. I'm guessing 3-4 sharpenings and it probably makes sense to retire the old knives after that? I agree that the steel makes a difference. I've got an Italian set from Freud that seems to last longer than my other sets.

I'll also add, Holbren has become my go-to for buying new. Their price on a new set of 6" knives would be hard to beat. Based on my past experience, and what others have said, they sell quality items at a fair price. I recently bought a Byrd head for my planer from them and couldn't be happier. I will also add that I would just switch to a Byrd head for my jointer, but I'm holding out until I buy an 8" jointer and will get the Byrd on my 'forever jointer'.
(01-31-2019, 10:44 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: ...but I'm holding out until I buy an 8" jointer and will get the Byrd on my 'forever jointer'.

LOL...

"forever jointer" is a myth...

Rolleyes
(01-31-2019, 11:10 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: LOL...

Rolleyes

Doesn't have to last forever...in my case, just longer than me
Smile
(He's referencing that "forever" just lasts until we find something bigger and in our budget.)
Semper fi,
Brad

(01-31-2019, 11:10 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: LOL...

Rolleyes

Yeah I wrote that kind of tongue in cheek, but anything bigger than 8" won't fit in my shop...... Hey, now that you mention it maybe I should build my 'forever shop' before I buy my 'forever jointer'.
Number of sharpenings depends on how deep the nicks are, how many times you nick them
Uhoh , and who sharpens them.

I have some original 20" griz blades (3 sets actually) that are probably nearing 10 sharpening's each.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020