First thing I've made for someone else
A coworker was telling me about some sliding storage shelves that he had built in his kitchen in unused space beside his refrigerator. Commented that he was going to look for a cabinet shop to make fronts for the drawers to match his cabinets.
Told him to bring me a drawer front to see if I could match it. I had just used Transtint dark red mahogany stain on a project and darn if the drawer didn't look exactly the same color. Because I am color blind I took the drawer home and tried matching the color on poplar. Gave him the sample to bring home to look at in his own kitchen to make sure he liked it.
Very simple project, but made me nervous just because it was for someone else. Panels are about 9 x 25 with a simple chamfered edge.
There are 3 and I just put a second coat of stain on them to darken them a little and get a browner tone. The color is a little uneven in the picture as I literally just put the stain on and its drying.
Will finish with arm r seal satin.
I've learned so much here, just wanted to share.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks good, never would guess it's poplar.

I've found that it's the simple things that get appreciated the most.

Had a family friend that wanted some crappy plywood shelves sanded, I sanded them down, trimmed the front off and added a solid edge to the front. Made her day.

Ed
"Very simple project, but made me nervous just because it was for someone else."

Yep, been there too.  It's always a concern when working for someone else.
But if it works out, you'll have a great sense of accomplishment.
“Poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten”
Nice job.  The angst you feel when you do work for others makes you a better woodworker.  We accept mistakes in our own projects that we won't, or at least shouldn't, especially if we are being paid, when working for others.  I learned so many new things out of necessity when I decided to sell pieces, color matching and spray finishing probably being the two most important for me.  

John
Nice work.  Good idea to send the test sample home to the customer to look at.  The type of lighting - incandescent, flourescent, led, and the color temp of the lighting can have a big impact on how a color appears.
We tend to forget that the people around us have no clue how to
do what we find easy.
Just yesterday I made and installed some simple plywood shelving
in a sister in laws' kitchen cabinets.
She was ecstatic. For me, it was no big deal.

So, you get to be the superhero once in awhile.

Smile
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I am my harshest critic.  Since I am involved every step of the way, i know, and see, every flaw.
The person who receives the finished product is usually thrilled, seeing the project as a whole, not trying to nitpic.

Big Grin

Good job, feels good doesn't it. 
Laugh
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
It is a nice feeling. It was nerve wracking though sweating every glue joint, is my miter sled square to the blade?, don't let the router tip while cutting the chamfers,is the piece the right size?
I'm sure he'll be happy.
Nice first "for someone else" job.
We all have a bit of trepidation when we first start doing jobs/projects for others.