carving
Hi All:

I am in the market for two things: a round bottom spokeshave, and a small drawknife.  Round bottom spoke shave to get into sharp curves and drawknife to remove a lot of material quickly from furniture pieces, not to debark any logs or anything like that.  Here is my question - I see both tools can be bought for about $35, or both tools can be bought for about $100.  I usually lean toward buying quality which means paying more, but thought I would check in with netters.  I have about all the sharpening accessories needed.  Thanks as always for advice...FPT.
For a round bottom spoke shave, I would get a quality one. A cheaper one, or vintage one, will probably need some fettling to get working properly and can be frustrating. A nice quality one from LN or LV will work with a simple honing of the blade. and a lot less aggravation.

For the drawknife, as long as the steel will hold an edge and the handles are comfortable, I would try not to spend too much money.
(01-30-2019, 08:27 AM)fptahoe Wrote: Hi All:

I am in the market for two things: a round bottom spokeshave, and a small drawknife.  Round bottom spoke shave to get into sharp curves 

I have the Lee Valley Veritas round bottom spokeshave and highly recommend it. That said, how sharp? It is not a cigar shave. LV says the radius is 1 3/4".  It might be tricky to handle on a curve with less than a few inches radius. It takes a little finesse even on a more gradual curve.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Thank you all.  I took the advice.  I am going for the LV spokeshave and the less expensive draw knife.  Thanks as always...FPT.