Jackshaft garage door opener for high lift door
Food for thought:

http://macdailynews.com/2019/02/08/so-ca...es-online/
(02-04-2019, 09:35 PM)EricU Wrote: Sure, it would be nice to be able to see if the door is open from across the country, but I can live without that.

My FIL wanted to know when his garage door was left open, especially when he went to bed (at 9:00 like clockwork
Laugh ), so I got him a turret head limit switch with whisker to activate, and he mounted it so the door would push the whisker and close the NO contacts.  He wired a jelly jar light to it, mounted on the back of the garage so he could see it from the kitchen window and from his spot in bed. 

But it wouldn't be hard to send a wired signal to something connected to his router, to see the status (I/0) from Florida.  But I suppose that's the unsecure part, which I know nothing about.  Other than his TV, computer, and phones, he has nothing else on the router.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"