Joe Woodworker / Veneer Supplies.com ?
The first time I have ever heard of any profitable business in my life that closed down because of complaints about shipping costs! Has anyone? Simple solution: treat such mail as spam. Problem fixed.

Simon
Agreed. I think he would feel a lot better if he took the Soup person approach to customers. My personal preference is for B&B Rare Woods, but I have ordered from JWW several times and have never been dissatisfied in any way. I thought his veneer pricing was middle of the road. Morons who think shipping costs and taxes are caused by the shipper deserve the Guy Montag treatment; "Go home, go home! Before I knock you down and kick you out the door."
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Well...the collective public has been lured into the "free shipping" marketing ploy, and the reckoning is coming on sales tax as well.

Somehow many think they are entitled to these "freebies", when they are not free.  Businesses have to account for those costs somehow.

I never used the subject retailer; hate to see see good businesses run out by jerks.
I wish he could have just ignored the hate emails and quit doing business with anyone complaining about costs he could not avoid. WxMan is right though, too many people getting used to free shipping. Amazon is causing a lot of people to throw in the towel.
All I see is a headline “we are no longer taking orders”. Where is the explanation
darn, I was hoping it wasn't true
Sad

I built my first pump based on Joe's plans and his bags were excellent (poly). His veneer was decent, but there are a lot of fantastic veneer dealers.

Still, it's a shame that he closed in response to angry emails. Sadly, to run a business like this you need a thick skin. Same thing happened to Stu in Japan recently
Sad

I hope he finds some peace and is able to remove the stress from his life this evidently caused. Sucks for us, but it's not worth it otherwise. Life is too darn short...

michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(02-02-2019, 02:21 PM)AUswimKC Wrote: All I see is a headline “we are no longer taking orders”. Where is the explanation

You have to go to the "Contact Us" page.
There's a link to the explanation in post#25.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Looks like the site is back up. I think I will purchase something from him this weekend.
I just placed an order.  Joe has been a tremendous resource for so many woodworkers.  I would encourage everyone to place an order if you have been procrastinating as I had -or- just send a note of encouragement and thanks.  With all the people in the world, at times, it can still feel like you don't have a single friend.  This is a chance to help a fellow woodworker.

Lonnie