Anther Track circular saw
For those of us with room for a table saw I’m not sure all these track saw add ons make much since, but for the guy starting out (as we all once were) space may be very limited.

For the last 2 years I’ve been doing a little woodwork out of an overstuffed garage that barely has enough room to walkthrough in that case a portable table saw replacement makes some since.
Yes I could roll the sawstop cabinet saw out in the driveway but I’d have to spend hours getting it out and back in..

Soon the doors go on my new 30x60 shop (stealth gloat) and I’ll be back to using the table saw as it was intended.

Is there still a place in my shop for a multi function table like the kreg? I’m not sure, I’ll have to do some research and see if it solves any problems that I have.

Although I have been known to buy tools because I thought they were really interesting and then rarely if ever use them.

I have a Leigh dovetail jig that has never touched wood, and I’ve owned it at least 3-4 years

By the way any good videos on YouTube about what the kreg table does well?

Duke
nice to see a 62" fence since European plywood is 60"  Seems like everyone else is selling 50" fences
(02-02-2019, 10:25 PM)JDuke Wrote: For those of us with room for a table saw I’m not sure all these track saw add ons make much since, but for the guy starting out (as we all once were) space may be very limited.

I have a cabinet saw but manipulating full size or large sheet materials on top of it is a comical if not unsafe act - for me anyway.  It doesn't help that my shop is in my basement either.
Slap So, I prefer using a tracksaw on a cutting table for sheet goods.  I can cut them accurately to finished dimensions or sometimes to just more manageable pieces.  Everyone has their preferred methods, certainly, but my tracksaw often comes out when I have a project involving sheet materials.  It's also very handy when doing on-site jobs. Nice to see another player in the mix. Competition benefits us - the consumers.

FWIW, I use an EZ track system and a folding cutting table in the garage as needed:
[Image: IMG_1435.jpg]
Cian,

I wasn’t very clear in my previous post.

I see the benefit of a track saw, I have the dewalt and use it primarily to break down sheet goods as well.

I prefer to use it on a piece of foam board on the driveway.

What I see more as an attempt at table saw replacement is the table system with the guides for the track.

Duke
back when I lived in an apartment it would have been really nice to have one of these for all sorts of things. Now I want one to cut down plywood
(02-02-2019, 01:14 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: More information prieces, accessories, etc.:

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c72/adapt...ng-system/

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c74/indiv...omponents/

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c75/acces...and-parts/

I found the dust collection interesting and from the video  it appears to be effective, plus no vacuum and hose!

Hope it is a success for KREG and woodworkers. If this system provides all it promises, I think Festool will have some real serious competition.
People have been trying to compete with Festool for a while.  But only Mafell seems to be able to provide the same level of quality (at similar pricing).  So I think it will boil down to the quality of the products (track, especially) and not the features being offered.

There will always be a market for Hondas, but for some applications only a Mercedes will do.  If you are using a track saw to pre-size panels, then any of these will work.  In Europe they apparently use track saws as a replacement for table saws.  If that is your purpose, then you might need the Festool afterall.

A Festool track saw + a Festool router could replace a table saw at about the same cost (and would be safer to operate too).  I don't think I would want to do that, but I think I could turn out similar quality cabinets with a Festool setup as I do with a table saw + router.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-07-2019, 10:22 AM)Cooler Wrote: A Festool track saw + a Festool router could replace a table saw at about the same cost (and would be safer to operate too).  I don't think I would want to do that, but I think I could turn out similar quality cabinets with a Festool setup as I do with a table saw + router.
The problem is not the track saw system itself, but the unrealistic expectations by some owners or potential buyers who think the track saw system can replace a table saw, even when sheet goods are not their primary materials to use in their projects.

Track saws handle sheet goods well whether on a table or on a foam laid on the ground. We used circular saws for that long before the tracksaw systems were born. But increasingly, thanks partly to Festool intensive marketing as well as its fan boys (showing their non-plywood based projects with their Festool toys), many uninformed or semi-informed hobbyists rushed to join the track saw community. What followed was the search for solutions (read after-market products) to make their track saw capable of doing tasks that a table saw could do with ease. If one had added up the costs of the track saw, tracks, table(s), accessories, all kinds of gadgets, and frustrations (in order to do regular furniture projects, not plywood cabinets, etc.), one would have got oneself a cabinet saw, and more.

Track saws have their place, but marketing has turned them into something else. Many track saw users have realized that, and decided a good solution does exist: they add a contractor or jobsite saw to their shops!!!

Simon
(02-07-2019, 11:18 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Track saws have their place, but marketing has turned them into something else. Many track saw users have realized that, and decided a good solution does exist: they add a contractor or jobsite saw to their shops!!!

Simon

I am a happy owner of both a Unisaw and a Festool TS55 system. After having my Festool tracksaw for 5 years now I could not imagine doing projects without both. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and they are actually very complimentary to each other.

Yes it cost me $$ but due to my job time is something I don't have much of so I appreciate what each tool can bring me. 

JMHO.....
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
I am very interested in the table as well.  I have a DeWalt tracksaw that looks like it would work.  I am running out of room in my garage so I like the way the table stores with wheels.  I have some Kreg track for a face frame table that I am curious if I can make to quick disconnect/connect to it.  If it is sturdy enough  I will get one and use it as a general bench/table that is currently be served by a foldable work center table.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
That looks like it was well thought out. If it is compatible with the DeWalt Track saw I may be getting one!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop