Moxon: Why Did I Wait So Long?
There has been no shortage of discussion concerning the Moxon vise over the past number of years.  There are numerous plans available, hardware kits, and finished vises available from numerous suppliers.  While all this talk of Moxon was going on, I only half-listened: partly because I had built a nice bench with a nice twin screw vise and was happy with what I had.  
Recently, due to some back issues (old age sucks) I began an investigation into sawing ergonomics, specifically looking for guidance on the optimal stance for sawing dovetails.
This investigation led me to the moxon vise, and on a lark, I plunked down some money on a nice moxon/dovetail vise.  I am astounded at how it has not only helped my back, but has taken  my sawing to a new level (figuratively and literally) .  Now, with my sawing forearm horizontal, all the while NOT being bent over the bench, I am in shock (and awe) at how much of a difference a relatively small change in vise clamping height has made to my sawing. If you were on the fence about a moxon vise, very nice ones can be built for relatively short money. My recommendation: go for it: you won’t be disappointed!
(02-02-2019, 03:33 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: There has been no shortage of discussion concerning the Moxon vise over the past number of years.  There are numerous plans available, hardware kits, and finished vises available from numerous suppliers.  While all this talk of Moxon was going on, I only half-listened: partly because I had built a nice bench with a nice twin screw vise and was happy with what I had.  
Recently, due to some back issues (old age sucks) I began an investigation into sawing ergonomics, specifically looking for guidance on the optimal stance for sawing dovetails.
This investigation led me to the moxon vise, and on a lark, I plunked down some money on a nice moxon/dovetail vise.  I am astounded at how it has not only helped my back, but has taken  my sawing to a new level (figuratively and literally) .  Now, with my sawing forearm horizontal, all the while NOT being bent over the bench, I am in shock (and awe) at how much of a difference a relatively small change in vise clamping height has made to my sawing. If you were on the fence about a moxon vise, very nice ones can be built for relatively short money. My recommendation: go for it: you won’t be disappointed!

I made a small one and I like it very much. It is a back saver, as well as an eye helper. I'll try to post a pix.
Ag
Haven't bothered with one....why?   Because I sit down at the bench, on my shop stool, usually working at the end vise....also when I am chopping mortises, too.   Includes chopping waste from dovetails, and box joints.....both for using a saw, and any chisel work...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
For me, sitting works for mortising, but it just seems to mess up the bio-mechanics of sawing.

(02-02-2019, 09:37 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Haven't bothered with one....why?   Because I sit down at the bench, on my shop stool, usually working at the end vise....also when I am chopping mortises, too.   Includes chopping waste from dovetails, and box joints.....both for using a saw, and any chisel work...
Yes, its nice to be able to see what you are sawing!

(02-02-2019, 09:18 PM)AgGEM Wrote: I made a small one and I like it very much. It is a back saver, as well as an eye helper. I'll try to post a pix.
Ag
I built mine quite sime time ago and use it for all DT sawing. At that same time, I built several othe DT "appliances" (I was reading Robert Wearing's book of jigs and helpers at the time!), and those other things fell by the wayside.

Best shop helpers? A Moxon, bench hooks and a shooting board (take you time and make all of these yourself).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I admit I like mine enough I qm considering building it into a separate higher "joinery bench". If I can give up the shop space.
No space in my shop, but I can see how that might be very nice.
Heres one I'd like to give a whirl: FWW # 265, Christian Becksvoort

[Image: 011265068-700x394.jpg]

(02-03-2019, 01:05 PM)mongo Wrote: I admit I like mine enough I qm considering building it into a separate higher "joinery bench". If I can give up the shop space.
(02-03-2019, 01:30 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: No space in my shop, but I can see how that might be very nice.
Heres one I'd like to give a whirl: FWW # 265, Christian Becksvoort

[Image: 011265068-700x394.jpg]

Wow.  That's a beauty!  But I don't think I could move that thing and still have the energy left to make anything!
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
Before,

After.

I like a moxon vise very much and I incorporated it into my bench build. It is easier to to get the correct height for me for my elbow swing and I can turn the hips just right for the shoulder swing.  It is part of the bench and not a clamp on, but that is me.

Tom