File & Rasp Storage
(02-05-2019, 10:35 AM)enjuneer Wrote: The handle on this one is hard rubber or plastic. This saw looks awkward to use, but it is actually quite comfortable.

I bought mine at a tiny antique shop in Boulder Junction, WI for $10. I think it is because the thrust angle of the handle is very close to the tooth line of the blade.

I noticed the handle material on yours and it looks like it could be celluloid or hard rubber as you say..but what I think is unique about these saws is the way the blade is secured to the frame..the knurled retaining "nuts" prevent the blade from slipping off the pegs, even if the frame were to flex in use..I don't know how you could make a better saw than these..You snagged a real bargain for 10 bucks!!!!!...
As a boy in the machine shop, I learned to use a hacksaw with a "broom" handle.{nobody used a "mechanic's type" saw}..and to me, it is easier to saw to a line, and even to this day I still prefer that type.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Thanks for the ideas on file/rasp storage guys!
Yes  I've thought about slots in a shelf, but not a designated drawer... All are great ideas, though!

Any others?
Winkgrin
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Have yet to need to for my rasps ( though that will change some day soon )
but for my files, in the metal shop side of things I made a "Stroke-a-genius"
file rack , ala Guy Lautard:

Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Here is an old photo (the number of rasps and files have increased since this one was taken). The rasps and files are easy to access ...

[Image: Workshop-raspcabinetandworkshop3.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
This is low tech, but works for me. Using several sizes of the PVC pipe creates a variety of spaces between them which accommodate a range of tool sizes. The pipe sections are glued together, so it's all rigid and doesn't flop around.

Cliff
ex-TX, now Maine!
Love the coffee can, but I wouldn't know where to find one nowadays!
Laugh 

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate it! Now I just need to figure out which one works best in a location I still need to determine while figuring out how much room I need to leave for future acquisitions...
Smirk

Piece o'cake.
Sarcasm 

Thanks again!
Big Grin 
Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
I have a dedicated drawer for my most used rasps and files in a rolling tool cabinet I built. I use the tool liners you find for tool boxes so they don't rattle around and slide around in the drawer. For my lesser used rasps and files, I have canvas tools roll I use. The longer ones are in a large roll originally intended for turning tools. The others are in chisel rolls. I lay a shop rag over the business end of them to prevent rasp-to-rasp contact when rolled up. The rolls are stored in another drawer in my tool cabinet. My saw files are all contained in a segmented plastic organizer. I don't wrap or protect the saw files, because the organizer stays in a drawer dedicated to saw maintenance and only comes out when it needs to.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I made some tool rolls out of a combo of canvas and some old sweaters. The sweater material is sandwiched in-between the canvas, as I needed thicker material to make sure some of the points of the course rasps didn't poke through the material and touch the other rasps and files (and get dulled in the process).

I ended up making several different rolls for different sizes (4 or 5 rolls, IIRC). It is too many and I should sell some of them, but I haven't gotten around to it. If you have a smaller collection you would possibly need to stagger the depths of the pockets.

I might have some photos around, I'll check.

I sewed a big tool roll for my rasps and files. It’s a very compact way to store them. I only wish I had made two smaller rolls instead of one, one for the longer rasps and filed, and one for the shorter ones.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(02-04-2019, 09:26 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...................
For my good ones, I make a scabbard out of cardboard..{priority mail boxes make good ones} and duct tape {or glue} them together. Cheap and effective.

DITTO!!  I make the same kind of scabbards for mine, too....have for many years.  I have some that are 20+ years old...they work perfectly. I, also, make cardboard & duct tape covers for my chisel ends and...my chef knives.