Why I love woodworking...part 2 (Serendipity)
In May of 2017, I posted this...

https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...pid7469168

This project gave me the itch to build a real Marshall cabinet clone. I was just waiting for a good excuse and some spare cash. Fast forward to about a month ago. The guitarist whose guitar I obtained as described in my original post listed some gear for sale within Facebook. One of the items was a used Marshall amp head. I traded some correspondence with him and we agreed to a price that fell under an unexpected escrow refund I received just a couple of days earlier. What was really cool was that between his description of the amp and the time period it was used (along with some cell phone photos I had), I had evidence that this exact amp was on the stage the last time I was at a concert in Oct 2014.

Gluing the cleats to the front opening

Just finished rounding over the top front by hand

Prepping the speaker baffles

Just before paint, Tolex, and grill cloth

Speakers and bracing installled

It sounds pretty good. From what I read, the speakers will sound even better after a break-in period.
WOW nice job on that looks like 3/4birch ply
Look like it would be heavy
Wow!  I am hugely impressed!  Making speakers is on my bucket list too.  Interesting you used ply.  I figured everybody used MDF for speakers, but  ply would hold up better for a transportable speaker.  I'm interested in your opinion of its sound after break in.  Very cool.  
Cool
[Image: a1c994d9680707324f012e33c0b2aae3efd7193f...5baed8.jpg]
A few questions:
> Is that paint or a vinyl wrap of some kind on the cabinet body?
> Where did you source the handle inserts and the "Marshall" logo?
> What did you use for inputs? 1/4" RCA plugs?
> Since all the drivers are identical, does that use a crossover?
Cool

I didn't know that anyone knew of KIX. They were from Chambersburg, MD / Waynesboro, PA area which is where I grew up. We would go to the local bars to see them play. My sister lives about a block down from a house they used to practice at.
(02-04-2019, 10:23 PM)oakey Wrote: WOW nice job on that  looks like 3/4birch ply
Look like  it would be  heavy

It is very heavy. When it was face down on the bench to install the speakers (about 12lbs each), it was all I could do to get it safely back on the floor. I am so glad that I opted for casters instead of just feet!
(02-05-2019, 12:04 AM)Cian Wrote: A few questions:
> Is that paint or a vinyl wrap of some kind on the cabinet body?
> Where did you source the handle inserts and the "Marshall" logo?
> What did you use for inputs?  1/4" RCA plugs?
> Since all the drivers are identical, does that use a crossover?

The vinyl wrap is called Tolex - applying it was the scariest part of the process for me.

Mojotone.com: OEM Stereo/Mono Cabinet 4x12 Wired Jack Plate (Double 1/4"); Marshall Logo 11"; Tolex; Grill Cloth
AmplifiedParts.com: White Piping; Front Corners; Rear Corners; Amp trays (on the top); Casters
Amazon.com: Celestion Vintage 30 16 ohm 12" Speakers

No crossover needed.
That thing is a work of art, great job!
Very.....very, nice work.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-05-2019, 07:39 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: That thing is a work of art, great job!

Phil - thanks. Do you recognize what is in the background of picture 1?