Spiral router bit kickback
(02-05-2019, 09:39 PM)FS7 Wrote: The things I make seem to require a lot of flush trimming and my primary bit is a Freud two-flute top bearing bit. It works well overall, though I do have tearout occasionally (mostly around curves and end grain).

I recently bought a very expensive Whiteside spiral compression bit (both up and down cut) which was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. If (very big if) it cuts well, it's extremely clean. The problem is it usually grabs the wood and wants to throw it regardless of feed direction. For the cost I'm extremely disappointed, but I assume I'm doing something wrong. This can't be intended.

What am I doing wrong? I use a Bosch router in a Bosch router table, same set up with any other bit. I'm trying to trim no more than 1/8". Before I angrily return this I'd like to see if I can figure out what the problem is.
Are you referring to the Whiteside Ultimate Flush Trim Bit? I have used it for years and for me, itcuts very well. A few ideas: (if any of these seem obvious, forgive me, I do not know what you know)

1) How much are you trying to remove? I prefer to rough cut the waste to within around 1/8” of the template. 

2) Are you using a start pin? It is a simple thing, but works remarkably well.

3) What RPM are you running the bit at? Too slow would cause grabbing.

If you are doing everything right, call Whiteside and talk with them. They should be able to help. Maybe something is wrong with the bit, and they will replace it. Can’t hurt to talk with them.

Edit: I wrote this before reading the story above!
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(02-10-2019, 07:44 PM)handi Wrote: Edit: I wrote this before reading the story above!

Rolleyes

Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020