Shop wiring Q
(02-12-2019, 08:25 AM)Roly Wrote: If you are installing a single duplex receptacle at each location . . .

And on that note, even though I knew better at the time, I installed a single duplex at each box (EMT and surface boxes) when I wired my current shop.  I've replaced most of them over time with two duplexes, and had to replace the raised covers too, of course.  Even my 8 ft utility bench with three boxes spaced along the length had to be up-fitted with quads as I was filling them up with stuff that stays plugged in (radio, magnifying lamp, computer, etc.), leaving no room for things I need to actually do a bit of work. 
Slap

Shoulda' just installed two duplexes per box, all around the shop, right from the get-go.  Would have been less work in the long run.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(02-12-2019, 08:46 AM)TDKPE Wrote: And on that note, even though I knew better at the time, I installed a single duplex at each box (EMT and surface boxes) when I wired my current shop.  I've replaced most of them over time with two duplexes, and had to replace the raised covers too, of course.  Even my 8 ft utility bench with three boxes spaced along the length had to be up-fitted with quads as I was filling them up with stuff that stays plugged in (radio, magnifying lamp, computer, etc.), leaving no room for things I need to actually do a bit of work. 
Slap

Shoulda' just installed two duplexes per box, all around the shop, right from the get-go.  Would have been less work in the long run.  
Laugh

Sadly, I find myself in this position, now, too.  Might not do them all, but there are a couple of doubles that I'm going to upgrade to quads.  I have a number of benchtop tools there that only run one at a time and the outlet is 110V/20A, so it's not a matter of electrical capacity; it's the physical limitation of how many outlets are within reach.  Since the REQUIRED boombox also plugs in at that location, that leaves one plug to be shared across three bench top tools (wet grinder, bench grinder, and benchtop sander).  I also want to move my battery chargers over into that vicinity.
(02-12-2019, 09:15 AM)WxMan Wrote: I have a number of benchtop tools there that only run one at a time and the outlet is 110V/20A, so it's not a matter of electrical capacity; it's the physical limitation of how many outlets are within reach.  Since the REQUIRED boombox also plugs in at that location, that leaves one plug to be shared across three bench top tools (wet grinder, bench grinder, and benchtop sander).  I also want to move my battery chargers over into that vicinity.

My sharpening station, with three grinders and an old double-shaft motor with wire wheels on it, plus task lights.  I've had to move my radio to another location when I ran out of receptacle space on my utility bench even with quads - the radio was there because it was a good place for it, and I even ran the coax from my attic FM antenna there (haven't moved the coax yet, so reception in that basement location is poor).  Stationary tools like the BS and DP with task lights use up all the available space so I can't easily add temporary task lighting.  All because of poor planning on my part.  
Slap

OP: Think about how many receptacle outlets you'll need in a worst case scenario.  Then double it.  Really. 
Yes
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Or convert it into the metric number of outlets by doubling and adding 30...

Tongue
(02-06-2019, 08:40 PM)Cecil Wrote: I also will have a 220V, 20 amp circuit.

Shall I use 20 amp outlets?

I didn't see this addressed, but if you have only a single receptacle (not a duplex, and not in multiple locations) on that 20A 240V circuit, it's supposed to be 20A (NEMA 6-20).  Same thing applies to 20A 120V circuits with only one receptacle outlet on it.
Tom

Went to a proper electric supply store today.  They are only open until 5PM, so it is tough for me to get there, but today was the day.

Pass and Seymour, spec grade, 15 amp duplex receptacles, $2.40 per, i.e. priced close to the same as a 10 pack online.

Got ivory and brown, just like I wanted.  I got 2 - 20 amp GCFI's, one for the start of each circuit. 

I put 2 gang boxes every 6 feet.  The wire is mostly run, I just need to add the receptacles.  Previously there was a one gang box every 12 feet.  

The 220V are 20 amp receptacles, commercial grade , and 12 gauge wiring, though I am putting 4 boxes on the circuit, 2 on each wall.  I may add 2 more on the other side of the garage, at a later date.

I have room remaining for 3 - 220V breakers in the panel.  Dust collector, air compressor, shop heater.  I don't have any of the three yet.  The prior owner had an air compressor.  The wire is run for a 40 amp 220V circuit, with a breaker on the shelf.  Therefore, the air compressor or dust collector just needs hooked up, whenever I get it.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe