Idea of a Project
Part 2 of Monday's Misadventures...
Drawer fronts...they need a groove for the bottom panel to sit in...

Plane was made about..1864..
Cool

So, front have been coved, and grooved...

But, for these to be 3/4 Overlay drawers...I need a rebate on each end..

Knife wall, backsaw to cut the 1/2" x 3/8" rebate's wall....chisel and mallet to remove the waste...
Cool Then, the top edge needs a rebate as well..

Despite a large knot...plane in use?

Wards (Stanley) No. 78....made a bit of a mess today...
Rolleyes  

Swept the floor, hung up the work apron, called it a day...
Cool

Stay tuned..
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Worked for a while, until the back stiffen up, again
No 

Got the parts for the top two drawers cut to length, and widths..

And tried my hand at a few dovetails...
Uhoh

Been a while, a wee bit out of practice..
Rolleyes second set?
Confused 

IF I keep at it, I might get the hang of these?   Stashed this drawer out of the way...

Just the front and 2 sides, for now...grabbed the parts for the other drawer...got one side done..then Suppertime!
Winkgrin

Back was having issues...decided to stash the second drawer, for now...sweep the floor, hang up the messy shop apron..and call it a day..
Cool

Will get the back rested up..may try again tomorrow...

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
Let those messes build up. You know........padded floor.
Winkgrin 

And you'll get more production, not spending time to sweep.
Winkgrin
Winkgrin 

Looks like the project is coming along nicely.
Smile
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Lets see...grooves milled for the bottom panel to sit in on both sides of the drawer..

Dados milled and test fitted for the back of the drawer to sit in..
Cool  

Back has been cut for length, Plywood panel cut to size....pilot holes drilled..

And countersunk..

For screws to attach the sides to the back...I do not rely on just glue alone...spread som glue on the dovetails, and in the dados..

And screws to attach the back into the glue...
Winkgrin

Slide the bottom panel in place..checked for square..
Rolleyes ..slight toe-in at the back...both sides about match..mark for the center of the back.

Add a few screws (no glue) to fasten the back in place.  Then place the drawer in a safe place, to allow the glue to cure..
Cool 

There would have been two drawers done..but..
Uhoh  

Dado end on one side piece decided to split...went to the trouble to try a fix....then noticed a split down on the other end..decided to trash this thing,
Upset buy a decent short 1 x 6 and remake...May try that later today..we'll see..
Rolleyes

Stay tuned
Winkgrin
Second drawer is in the clamps...decided to call it a day.   I also picked out a decent 1 x 8 x 6' plank, just in case...
Uhoh

Maybe tomorrow, I can start on Drawer #3?   getting slow in me old age
Rolleyes
basically..just taking today off....was too sore, letting things rest up.
Cool .Will need to gang all three of the remaining drawers up....and do each step for all 3 drawers...Less set-ups that way...
Winkgrin  

Stay tuned...anyone want to stop by, and help out?
Confused
(02-28-2019, 04:21 PM)bandit571 Wrote: ...Less set-ups that way...
Winkgrin  

Stay tuned...anyone want to stop by, and help out?
Confused

I would if I could, but I would just slow you down.
I'd even bring the beer.....I know, promises, promises.....
Crosscuts have been made....used the old SKIL 6" circular saw.    Got a few blanks for the fronts..

Needed 3...the "extra" may be for a drawer back..depending on the sides..

4 out of 6..have to bring that 1 x 8 x 6' down to the shop...the third 1 x 8 x 8' wasn't all that great..
No 

had a few spots like this to cut out...and toss.  Marked the sides for width, and made the rip cut, and a test fit
Cool 

Picked the best 3  front blanks...each was a slightly different width...ripped a bit off..

Some of the sides had a bit ine "wane"....we have ways..

needed just enough off, that the bad stuff went away  
Rolleyes 
Back corners of the drawers....I round the corner a bit, to ease getting a drawer into the case,,,even IF it is full 

I also planed the drawer fronts to match the sides...was a bit of a step...no more
Cool 

needed to build a jig, so these handles would line up...
Rolleyes 

More on that in a bit...drawer fronts have been labeled, as to top, bottom, inside..and a cove bit dug out..

As the first thing that needs done, is run a cove around all three drawer fronts..before the rest of the milling can get done

Stay tuned..( jig post is next..)
Ok, I made a little jig, to help install these two bolt handles, so they will all line up on the front of the dresser..

two scraps, one a bit wider, to allow 2 screws..keeps things from twisting..Then, marked a center line or two..one is 5" in from an edge...along with centering a handle on the jig..And drive an awl to guide a drill bit..

Something like this..

I also set up a combo square, to help center it  on the drawer front, while I clamp the jig down..

using the holes in the jig to guide the drill bit....drill the two holes for each handle, install the handles..

Works decent enough...
Winkgrin
5 hours in the shop, today...give or take an hour..
Rolleyes 

Would have had all three drawers done...had issues with the plywood for the bottoms...1 out of three came out the right size...

same routine as the first two drawers....just I worked on three drawers at once...fronts were completely done, then the sides, then cut the backs to size..then that thing with the plywood
Upset 

Was able to glue up one drawer, today..
Winkgrin  

I am getting better at this dovetail thing...dry fit?
Cool  

So..tomorrow, I go and buy a 1/4" x 24" x 48" panel..and assemble the other two drawers....might even see about a can of stain...

Stay tuned...
Cool