Need bigger hole
I have some  3/4 " holes  in 3/4"thick wood.  I need to make 1" holes to enlarge.  I tried a spade bit but the spade ws all over the place.  What do people recommend to use instead or that I do differently?  Thanks,

GB
Not clear what you want to achieve. Are you trying to enlarge existing 3/4" holes to 1" holes, or drilling new 1" holes?

In any case, use a Forstner bit, not a spade pint bit.

If enlarging, use a 3/4" bit to center the stock on your drill press, replace the 3/4" bit with a 1" F.B., and redrill to enlarge.

Simon
(02-12-2019, 12:49 PM)Gurubandhu Wrote: I have some  3/4 " holes  in 3/4"thick wood.  I need to make 1" holes to enlarge.  I tried a spade bit but the spade ws all over the place.  What do people recommend to use instead or that I do differently?  Thanks,

GB

I plug the holes, then redrill.  Another way is to make a template and route them larger with a router.  

John
You can use a step drill to create a pilot hole for a 1" bit. Or clamp an alignment jig with a 1" hole over the existing hole.
Wood is good. 
Use a rabbet but with bearing to increase to 1” from one side, then a flush trim bit to do the other side.
Step drill bit with one inch max diameter. Just an idea....

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

i plug them like john stated 3/4 dowel and re drill one inch
i do not even glue the dowel in as long as they are snug
lots of great suggestions any one will probably work out for you
(02-12-2019, 01:15 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: You can use a step drill to create a pilot hole for a 1" bit. Or clamp an alignment jig with a 1" hole over the existing hole.

On this order.   Clamp the alignment board with a one inch hole and use a hole saw.  Roly
I agree/ There are lots of good suggestions. I do not have the bits people suggested like a Forsner or step drill bit. amd I do not have a drill press (and cannot use a drill press on it since it is way too big) I will go to the big box store and choose. Thanks for the suggestions.
You don't need to go to the store to make an alignment jig from a scrap of wood. Drill a 1" hole through the scrap and clamp it over your workpiece.
Wood is good.